Warm Spare / Add secondary uplink

SOLVED
suneq
Getting noticed

Warm Spare / Add secondary uplink

Hi guys,

I have a topology like this:

suneq_0-1625384604864.png

• MX-1 is the primary appliance, MX-1 is connected to both ISP1 and ISP2 routers
  • MX-2 is the spare appliance, MX-2 is connected to both ISP1 and ISP2 routers
  • The ports Internet 1 of MX-1 and MX-2 are already configured and are operational
  • The ports Internet 2 of MX-1 and MX-2 are not configured yet (ISP2 did not provide the public IPs)

Now I've just received the public IPs from the ISP2 and wanted to configure the ports Internet 2 of both MX. I configured them in:

• Appliance status > Uplink 
  • Spare status > Uplink

I configured all IPs and saved the configuration but nothing displayed :

suneq_1-1625385405531.png

When I clicked on the pencil icon, I could see all the parameters that I configured.

I checked the ARP table but did not found any entries for Internet 2.

I learned from https://documentation.meraki.com/MX/Deployment_Guides/MX_Warm_Spare_-_High_Availability_Pair

that "Dashboard configuration should always be performed before the Secondary MX is physically connected to the network."

Does it explain the issue that I have? What should I do now to bring up the Internet 2 ports?

Many thanks.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
cmr
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

@suneq are the lights on on the WAN ports?

If they are, try plugging a PC into the cable currently in a WAN2 port, set the IP to the same as you have set on the MX and see if you get internet access.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
cmr
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

@suneq are the lights on on the WAN ports?

If they are, try plugging a PC into the cable currently in a WAN2 port, set the IP to the same as you have set on the MX and see if you get internet access.

KarstenI
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

When the configured IP-settings are not visible, then the MX can not use them to reach the dashboard. As already mentioned, first make sure with a PC that these IPs are actually working.

suneq
Getting noticed

Hi @cmr , hi @KarstenI 

You are totally right, the WAN configuration is visible as soon as the ISP fixes their connectivity issue.

I did not have physical access to the device so it took a while to have someone to test. 

Thanks for your great help.

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels