Wan 1 interface with two separate ip address subnets assigned.

MarkKruger
Just browsing

Wan 1 interface with two separate ip address subnets assigned.

I have a customer who has an MX250 with two wan interfaces configured. The wan 1 uplink is configured with two ranges of IP addresses. as follows:

Primary Comcast IP Range 
Static IP Wan 1216.45.223.218
Subnet Mask255.255.255.252 /30
Default Gateway216.45.223.217
Uasble IP Range 216.45.223.217 - 218

Additional Comcast IP Range 
Static IP Wan 124.104.6.212
Subnet Mask255.255.255.240 /28
Default Gateway24.104.6.209 
Uasble IP Range 24.104.6.209 - 24.104.6.222

How do I configure the second range of IP addresses to use on the WAN 1 Interface? 

Note the WAN 2 interface is being used for another carrier.  

6 Replies 6
KarstenI
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

You can use these addresses in your NAT config. There is no need to assign them to the interface.

MarkKruger
Just browsing

Okay and then I have to set the flow preferences is that correct?

do i need rules in the firewall for inbound and outbound traffic?

If you have two Internet circuits, then yes, a flow preference might be a safe option to choose.

You don't need firewall rules.  When you create the NAT it will automatically allow the traffic in.

https://documentation.meraki.com/MX/NAT_and_Port_Forwarding/Port_Forwarding_and_NAT_Rules_on_the_MX 

KarstenI
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

The flow preferences are used to select WAN1 and WAN2 for outbound traffic, They are not used to somehow select the IP range. That is purely the NAT config. But If you have a NAT config for WAN1, then you typically want to make sure that outbound traffic is also going to WAN1.

MarkKruger
Just browsing

On the one for one NAT on interface 1.  it is a completely different subnet than the Wan interface. 

How is the one for one NAT 24.104.6.216 going to know what its default gateway is? Unless Comcast is programming a sub interface on the port form their device. you would still need to tell the 24.104.6.212/29 subnet what its default address is.  

It will use the default route for that WAN interface.

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels