VRRP devices cause duplicate IP allerts

SMR
Comes here often

VRRP devices cause duplicate IP allerts

I got two network devices in a Meraki network sharing a VRRP address to cover failover.

Now I got an altert from the dashboard complaining about a duplicate IP address:

SMR_0-1576507923103.png

Did anyone came across this, too and know how to solve this?

3 REPLIES 3
SoCalRacer
Kind of a big deal

Not sure if this is MX or MS, but have you reviewed these docs to ensure setup is correct?

MX

https://documentation.meraki.com/MX/Deployment_Guides/MX_Warm_Spare_-_High_Availability_Pair

MS

Management IP

When configuring VRRP/warm spare, the management IP address on the primary cannot also be assigned to a layer 3 interface. This is due to the interface IP address being shifted to the spare in the event of a failover. Thus both the primary and spare must have unique management IP addresses for communication with Dashboard, that do not conflict with the layer 3 interface IP addresses.

https://documentation.meraki.com/MS/Layer_3_Switching/MS_Warm_Spare_(VRRP)_Overview

SMR
Comes here often

Hi SoCalRacer,

thank you for your quick reply.

Sorry for not making it clearer. The devices using the VRRP address are non Meraki devices in the network.

Usually you get 2 MAC-Addresses within this alert, but in that case it is only one.

SMR
Comes here often

I found the reason for getting one MAC-Address only - I switched the network from "Cloud Track" to "MAC address" and now I see the 2 addresses who cause the conflict.

SMR_0-1576853242403.png

Solving the IP conflict message is up to the vendor of the acting devices (or meraki to mark some messages as expected without sending an E-Mail out).

To stop the flood we disabled the IP conflict alert again.

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels