VPN works for local IP over iOS but MacOS doesn't work

Solved
RumorConsumer
Head in the Cloud

VPN works for local IP over iOS but MacOS doesn't work

Hello!

I use a couple Mikrotik switches in SwOS mode, basically as switches not routers for my 10GbE traffic. Theres 2 of them and theyre assigned 192.168.3.2 and .3, respectively. I have a MX65 for my router and am overseas for a while. I like to log into the switches just to check on things and today I ran a firmware update from the web OS interface on Safari for iPhone using the Meraki VPN. Works great over iPhone. My MacBook Pro, however, with identical settings, authenticates and connects successfully and it can pull up pages like CNN or Apple.com or Meraki dashboard, but it wont pull up the SwOS web config page when I use the direct IP in the address bar. Again, same exact creds on iPhone, authentication works fine on both, general web access works through both, but on the iPhone I can use the IP of the switch and on the Mac I cant. Just sits there with a stalled progress bar part of the way across the screen. No error. Thoughts? 

Networking geek since high school where I got half of a CCNA. Played Marathon II and Infinity over localtalk.
Made many a network over the years, now de facto admin of a retreat center with some of this fine Meraki hardware.
Fortune 100 Tech veteran/refugee.
1 Accepted Solution

Gosh darnit. Got snagged by an old Mac OS X gotcha - I had to go to Network prefs and reorder the services so that the VPN “interface” was a higher priority. Issue resolved. 

Networking geek since high school where I got half of a CCNA. Played Marathon II and Infinity over localtalk.
Made many a network over the years, now de facto admin of a retreat center with some of this fine Meraki hardware.

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6
BrechtSchamp
Kind of a big deal

Sounds like you're just testing internet access (CNN, apple.com, dashboard) from the MacBook Pro? Are you sure it's using the tunnel for that?

Can you ping the IP of your switches?

@BrechtSchamp good call. I just tried and my ping times out. What could the problem be? 

Jwiley78
Building a reputation

iPhone may be on cellular which allows VPN connections.  MacBook may be on WiFi that doesn't like something about VPN connections.

@Jwiley78 Good thought but both are on the same Wifi. I dont get cellular here so thats not it haha. So the wifi works for VPN on Phone just not on Mac.

Gosh darnit. Got snagged by an old Mac OS X gotcha - I had to go to Network prefs and reorder the services so that the VPN “interface” was a higher priority. Issue resolved. 

Perfect. Thanks for reporting back.

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels