VPN to connect to Remote Desktop Services Server

Solved
Snowman
Comes here often

VPN to connect to Remote Desktop Services Server

I've set up a VPN on MX64 with but there is no connection joy.  The URL for server times out and can't ping the local company network server.

Thanks for any guidance.

1 Accepted Solution
MilesMeraki
Head in the Cloud

it sounds very much list a host-based firewall issue. A Packet capture taken from the LAN interface of the MX while trying to connect via the Client VPN connection would verify this (TCP RST).

Eliot F | Simplifying IT with Cloud Solutions
Found this helpful? Give me some Kudos! (click on the little up-arrow below)

View solution in original post

7 Replies 7
MRCUR
Kind of a big deal

Are you using site-to-site VPN or client VPN? Does the MX64 have a route to the server you are trying to access? Does the server have a route to the VPN subnet you are coming from? 

Can you post some screenshots of your MX config? There isn't enough info in your post to help you. 

MRCUR | CMNO #12
Snowman
Comes here often

MRCUR

Thanks for reply. First time with this device - Client VPN was configured on 192.168.5.0/24

Client VPN settings

Client VPN server

Enabled

Host Nametest.dynamic-m.com
Client VPN subnet 192.168.5.0/24 

(e.g., "192.168.1.0/24")

DNS nameserversOpenDNS
WINSNo WINS servers
Secretblocked
AuthenticationMeraki cloud
Systems Manager Sentry VPN securityDisabled

LAN is 192.168.1.0  

No special route to server configured

MRCUR
Kind of a big deal

Is the server you're trying to connect to in the LAN subnet (192.168.1.0/24)? If not, does the MX have a route to the subnet the server is in and does the server's gateway have a route to the VPN subnet? 

You can add a static route in the MX as necessary and do the same on the gateway of the server if it's not the MX. 

MRCUR | CMNO #12
Snowman
Comes here often

Yes, server is on the LAN subnet 192.168.1.0/24 and the MX is the server's gateway.  Is there anything I'm missing?

MRCUR
Kind of a big deal

Is the server's firewall configured to allow RDP? When you're connected to the VPN, can you ping the MX? Other servers? Can you ping the IP you get from VPN from the server? 

MRCUR | CMNO #12
MilesMeraki
Head in the Cloud

it sounds very much list a host-based firewall issue. A Packet capture taken from the LAN interface of the MX while trying to connect via the Client VPN connection would verify this (TCP RST).

Eliot F | Simplifying IT with Cloud Solutions
Found this helpful? Give me some Kudos! (click on the little up-arrow below)
Snowman
Comes here often

It was a firewall issue.

Many thanks.

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels