VPN to Azure and Failover Circuit

Solved
GFrazier
Building a reputation

VPN to Azure and Failover Circuit

I have not tried this yet, and I may be overlooking some info in the knowledge base. however, maybe someone can give me a quick answer here.

This is how I Imagine setting up the MX:

WAN1 - Primary Circuit, Static IP, VPN to Azure

WAN2 - Secondary Circuit, Static IP, VPN to Azure

On the Azure side, I am certain I just need to configure 2 VPNs - one pointing to the MX Primary Circuit IP; the other pointing to the MX Secondary Circuit IP.

On the MX Side, I imagine I will just use the one Azure IP for the VPN connection.

If the Primary Circuit fails, shouldn't the Azure side automatically connect to the MX's secondary VPN tunnel?  

Will this configuration cause any issues where the Azure side send information to the secondary circuit IP?  I would think not due to the packets being marked with the initiating / sending IP address, then sending it back to that address.

1 Accepted Solution
jimmyt234
Getting noticed

I think you'll struggle / experience weird things if you try to have 2 Azure VPN tunnels to the same remote subnet. What you can do, and we have done a lot of, is peer the Azure VPN to the MX's DDNS hostname. This will resolve to the primary uplink IP during normal operation and then if WAN failure it will update and the Azure VPN should re-establish to the other WAN IP.

This will be a lot slower and is less elegant and flexible than deploying a vMX, however.

View solution in original post

9 Replies 9
GreenMan
Meraki Employee
Meraki Employee

Are you using vMX in Azure for this?   (Definitely recommended!)

GFrazier
Building a reputation

I am certain we are just using the native Gateway connection for Azure.  However, would the setup work without the vMX?

If you don't use vMX, you'll be using non-Meraki VPN, which is a whole load less functional and more difficult to build resilience

GFrazier
Building a reputation

ok... I was looking into it - how would I go about purchasing? 

You would need to get a vMX license from a reseller. Below is an example:

https://www.cdw.com/product/cisco-meraki-vmx-enterprise-small-subscription-license-1-year-1-lic/6821...

Back to your question: in theory, it should work. However, the failover/routing must be done at the Azure VPN gateway as you can only specify 1 remote endpoint for Azure subnets in the MX configuration (aka you cannot point to 2 different Azure endpoints for the same remote subnets)

PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

>On the Azure side, I am certain I just need to configure 2 VPNs - one pointing to the MX Primary Circuit IP; the other pointing to the MX Secondary Circuit IP.

I give you a 10% chance of getting this to work.  Expect this approach to fail.

As already mentioned, a VMX is the way to go.

GFrazier
Building a reputation

I see.. So Philip, I currently have an Azure VpnGw1 subscription which allows for multiple Tunnels.  There are 3 geographical locations with different Static IPs - All of those locations point to one Azure Gateway IP; while the Azure Gateway has created 3 tunnels - one to each location.  It's like a Hub and Spoke model with Azure being the Hub.  

On the local MX side, I am not speaking of pointing the MX to a different Azure Gateway for some sort of gateway failover - I am just setting up another "spoke".  It's just another spoke to the Azure central gateway... only difference is it will be on WAN2 of the same local MX.  The second circuit will be a totally different ISP with a totally different Static IP block.

Should this work? 

jimmyt234
Getting noticed

I think you'll struggle / experience weird things if you try to have 2 Azure VPN tunnels to the same remote subnet. What you can do, and we have done a lot of, is peer the Azure VPN to the MX's DDNS hostname. This will resolve to the primary uplink IP during normal operation and then if WAN failure it will update and the Azure VPN should re-establish to the other WAN IP.

This will be a lot slower and is less elegant and flexible than deploying a vMX, however.

GFrazier
Building a reputation

I see. didn't take the Azure remote subnet into account.

Thanks to you all... I will def look into the vMX.  

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels