VLAN capabilities per MX

SOLVED
JacoboLevy
Getting noticed

VLAN capabilities per MX

Good morning everyone.

Quick question regarding MX sizing. I have a new project for a multi-office space (24 offices) in 26k Square FT in total area. 

I was thinking of doing 24 VLANs (1 per office) and 1 Vlan for the shared WIFI. so in total 25, Are there any limitations on the MX105 for the VLANs that it can manage?? also thinking of  APs to cover the entire location, should I go bigger, or does it sounds reasonable?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

I'm not aware of any VLAN limitation around that number.  If you have access to any MX - try creating that many VLANs.  I have not personally done that many before.

Note the recommended user count.

PhilipDAth_0-1674156220417.png

Splash Access also has a great "Multi-dwelling Unit (MDU)" solution.

https://www.splashaccess.com/portfolio/mdusolution/

You can give each tennant their own username and password to a portal, they can onboard their own WiFi devices, and it can drop each tennants devices into their own VLAN.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
alemabrahao
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Take a look on datasheet specs:

https://meraki.cisco.com/product-collateral/mx-family-datasheet/?file

alemabrahao_0-1674144648163.png

I am not a Cisco Meraki employee. My suggestions are based on documentation of Meraki best practices and day-to-day experience.

Please, if this post was useful, leave your kudos and mark it as solved.

it does not show anything related to VLAN the most I see is VPN Tunnels 

JacoboLevy_0-1674145705552.png

There are no limitations on VLAN, but please make sure you comply with these specifications below.

alemabrahao_0-1674146187494.png

I am not a Cisco Meraki employee. My suggestions are based on documentation of Meraki best practices and day-to-day experience.

Please, if this post was useful, leave your kudos and mark it as solved.
PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

I'm not aware of any VLAN limitation around that number.  If you have access to any MX - try creating that many VLANs.  I have not personally done that many before.

Note the recommended user count.

PhilipDAth_0-1674156220417.png

Splash Access also has a great "Multi-dwelling Unit (MDU)" solution.

https://www.splashaccess.com/portfolio/mdusolution/

You can give each tennant their own username and password to a portal, they can onboard their own WiFi devices, and it can drop each tennants devices into their own VLAN.

Tore
Getting noticed

Hi,
One thing to keep in mind is that MX does not run STP, so plan accordingly regarding downstream switches.
Avoid connecting more than two switches in the same STP domain directly to the LAN of the MX.

I plan for this deployment to use the sfp from the MX-105 to my first switch MS-225  and then do a stack of 6 switches in total. 

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels