Upgrading MX-Firewalls bound to Template

Solved
Weny
Conversationalist

Upgrading MX-Firewalls bound to Template

Hi everybody,
I need help with my Meraki Network. Lets say I have 40 Network / Sites in my Dashboard and each and everyone of them has a single MX67. All of those Sites are built by using templates and therefor all the Sites in general and all the MX Firewalls are bound to a single template.
Now I want to upgrade those sites. Is there any chance I can upgrade those Sites on a different day or just separately generally speaking.
If yes I would be very pleased if you could help me out here with the solution. If that is not possible I would love to know how you guys would deploy such a infrastructure with templates. 

Thanks in advance,
Toni

1 Accepted Solution
PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

To build on @alemabrahao answer, a common solution to this problem is to clone your template and call it something like "Pilot Group", "Pre-production", "Test", etc.

Bind a test network to that.  Then do all your testing on that before pushing changes to production.

ps. MX67s are pretty safe when doing firmware updates.  I would just do the firmware upgrade.

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5
PhilippGreindl
Here to help

Great question! We have a similar topic with one of our customers.

I hope Meraki Support can find a solution for this or enlighten us with a best practice guide.

alemabrahao
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

No, the only way, is if you had part of the MXes in a different template.

I am not a Cisco Meraki employee. My suggestions are based on documentation of Meraki best practices and day-to-day experience.

Please, if this post was useful, leave your kudos and mark it as solved.
Weny
Conversationalist

Thanks to the both of you for giving me the feedback I needed to accept my faith ;(
I guess I just have to trust the Firmware

PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

To build on @alemabrahao answer, a common solution to this problem is to clone your template and call it something like "Pilot Group", "Pre-production", "Test", etc.

Bind a test network to that.  Then do all your testing on that before pushing changes to production.

ps. MX67s are pretty safe when doing firmware updates.  I would just do the firmware upgrade.

Weny
Conversationalist

Thanks to you as well,
The "test-Template" isn't a bad idea.

Best Regards

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels