Unwanted Content Filtering Changes

Twitch
Building a reputation

Unwanted Content Filtering Changes

Good morning. A while back our MX updated to version 17.10.2 firmware, which came with changes to Content Filtering categories. Accepting those changes and the firmware upgrade effectively broke web browsing and WiFi Calling for several of our sites. We had to get support to downgrade the firmware in order to restore browsing. Once the MX was back on version 16.16 everything began working again.

This morning I went to make a change to Content Filtering, and the Review Suggestions notice is back and I cannot get past it. The MX is still on version 16.16, but I do not want to accept these changes to Content Filtering given what happened less than a month ago. The problem, though, is the only option seems to be clicking on Confirm Changes to accept the new categories - there is no option to Cancel or click X to close this window. So, the Dashboard has effectively hijacked my ability to make the changes I need to make unless I put our operations at risk. This seems just a tad ridiculous to me.

Is there any way to close this window without making any unwanted and unneeded changes?

Thanks!

Twitch

Twitch_0-1676565356538.png

5 Replies 5
alemabrahao
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

In firmware MX17 and up, the MX introduced Content Filtering powered by Cisco Talos Intelligence. This allows the MX’s Content Filtering feature to classify URLs based on web content and threat categories curated by Cisco Talos. 

https://documentation.meraki.com/MX/Content_Filtering_and_Threat_Protection/Content_Filtering_Powere...

I am not a Cisco Meraki employee. My suggestions are based on documentation of Meraki best practices and day-to-day experience.

Please, if this post was useful, leave your kudos and mark it as solved.
Twitch
Building a reputation

@alemabrahao- That's what broke the Internet for us, and what I'm trying to avoid. Apparently, Talos isn't very Intelligent, which is why I want to avoid accepting any of these new categories that are being pushed out until I hear that everything is working like it's supposed to. It looks like Meraki is trying to push the categories out now regardless of whether or not the MX is on version 17. 

alemabrahao
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

As you downgraded they are not new categories but you are reverting to the category of BrightCloud.

I am not a Cisco Meraki employee. My suggestions are based on documentation of Meraki best practices and day-to-day experience.

Please, if this post was useful, leave your kudos and mark it as solved.
DarrenOC
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Hi @Twitch , documentation is still showing version 17.x as using Talos so worth a shout into support to see what’s going on.

Darren OConnor | doconnor@resalire.co.uk
https://www.linkedin.com/in/darrenoconnor/

I'm not an employee of Cisco/Meraki. My posts are based on Meraki best practice and what has worked for me in the field.
PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

You are going to need to plan a session where you do the upgrade, and then go through the categories removing anything that breaks what you need.

The new content filtering engine is here to stay.  It's not going to be much of a feasible option to stay on the 16.x train.

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels