Unable to Establish Connection to VPN Gateway After Successful Authentication

EDIT
Here to help

Unable to Establish Connection to VPN Gateway After Successful Authentication

Hoping someone can point me in the right direction. I've got a Windows client in Azure cloud that I can't connect VPN back to my VPN server (MX). I am able to reach my VPN server and authenticate with successful VPN welcome message but then connection fails after when it attempts to establish the connection.

Tried 2 VPN clients, the Windows built in client and Cisco Secure Client.

Cisco Secure Client Error:

"Cisco Secure Client was not able to establish a connection to the specified source gateway. Please try connecting again."

and

"VPN establishment capability for a remote user is disabled. A VPN connection will not be established."

1. Try connection on both SAML and RADIUS

2. Uninstall/reinstall secure client per suggestion found online which includes manual deletion of any Cisco folders in AppData and Programs x86 Windows folders

3. Tried secure client version 5.1.0.136 and 5.1.142

4. Deleted VM/Re-deployed

5. Tried both SAML and RADIUS authentication

When I try connecting through Windows client, I get the following error:

"The remote connection was not made because the attempted VPN tunnels failed. The VPN server might be unreachable. If this connection is trying to use an L2TP/IPsec tunnel, the security parameters required for IPsec negotiation might not be configured correctly."

Issue seems to be isolated to connection to Azure cloud since I can connect using other local windows clients when connecting from a public network. Even more interesting that I can't resolve my VPN server host name in Azure cloud but I can from other public networks so I changed DNS settings on the VM and pointed to Umbrella DNS but same error.

This is the first time I have ever tried to VPN from an Azure VM so not sure if their are additional steps I need to take to establish the connection. I recently added Cisco+Secure Connect integration with Umbrella and I can see VPN hostname in Umbrella with "Allowed" result so it does not appear to be Umbrella that is blocking the connection.

1 Reply 1
alemabrahao
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

I suggest you open a support case.

I am not a Cisco Meraki employee. My suggestions are based on documentation of Meraki best practices and day-to-day experience.

Please, if this post was useful, leave your kudos and mark it as solved.
Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels