Trouble moving devices on to new subnet

Wolpert22
Comes here often

Trouble moving devices on to new subnet

Hi, I'm having trouble getting some network devices/clients to move on to a new VLAN - I'm hoping you can help. Below are the steps I've taken:

I have the default 192.168.1.0 subnet (VLAN 1) and the new 192.168.2.0 subnet (VLAN 2). I've created a new group policy and attached it to VLAN 2. The VLAN is also set to run as a DHCP server with a 12 hour lease time. Finally, on the device/client, I've attached it to the relevant group policy.

So after all that, the client/device is still showing a 192.168.1.0 IP. Where am I going wrong? How do I get these devices on to the .2 VLAN/subnet? I don't want to bind MAC to an IP, I want the devices to get their IP via DHCP.

Thanks in advance for your help.

3 REPLIES 3
Ryan_Miles
Meraki Employee
Meraki Employee

How are the clients connecting? Wired on the MX directly, wired to something downstream, wireless?

Wolpert22
Comes here often

Hi, they're hard wired via Cisco 9200L switch.

So is the port on the MX set as a trunk allowing VLAN 2? And the same for the 9200 side? Typically I would expect an access port on the switch to be set for VLAN 2. The link between the switch and the MX would be a trunk and allowing VLAN 2. I wouldn't typically accomplish this using group policies.

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels