Traffic shaping rules

athan1234
Building a reputation

Traffic shaping rules

Dear all:

He currently has one MX450 with 1Gb online and wants to add another MX450 with a different provider that provides 950 Mb. He'll probably need a transciver, I suppose.switches/switches-accessories/switches-accessories-sfp/1-gbe-sfp-sx-fiber-transceiver | Cisko Meraki...
Oher question : 

My client wish to give some traffic priority :

VLAN:

Vlan 1 prioritise streaming traffic and restrict traffic to 1.5 GB; 

Vlan 2 limit traffic to 150 Mb; without traffic priorice.

Vlan 3 prioritise voice traffic at 12 Mb.

WIFI:
 One ssid is limited to a maximum of 50 MB.

I'm not sure where I need to configure this.
In the group policy and then assigned to respective vlan or  .
Alternatively, I must set this up in the SDwam traffic shapping rule.
Or anycase  is it necessary to set up firewall filter rules and group policy to prioritise the traffic in cases of congestion?
15 REPLIES 15
alemabrahao
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

The best option is to configure it on the group policy. It's more flexible.

I am not a Cisco Meraki employee. My suggestions are based on documentation of Meraki best practices and day-to-day experience.

Please, if this post was useful, leave your kudos and mark it as solved.
ww
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

On mx you cant limit the vlan. You can only limit per client/session

alemabrahao
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Yep, but you can create a group policy a apply it on the SVI. Of course, it is still limited per client/session, but it will work.

I am not a Cisco Meraki employee. My suggestions are based on documentation of Meraki best practices and day-to-day experience.

athan1234
Building a reputation

could you explian this issued better please ?

Bandwidth Shaping

Bandwidth shaping ensures that users do not consume more bandwidth than they should. The Meraki cloud includes an integrated bandwidth shaping module that enforces upload and download limits. This setting could be used, for instance, to assign more bandwidth for VOIP handsets on one SSID and less bandwidth for data-only users on another SSID. The bandwidth limits are enforced by the Meraki APs so that they are applied consistently to a wireless client, even if that client roams from one AP to another.

The Meraki dashboard supports separate upload and download limits. Asymmetric upload and download limits are useful, for example, when a user only needs to periodically download large images (e.g., CAD drawings) but not upload them. Specific application requirements and available bandwidth should be considered to determine the optimum bandwidth settings.

Bandwidth limits can be applied per SSID or per user. To configure per SSID bandwidth limits, go to the Firewall and Traffic Shaping page under the Configure tab.

To provide a better user experience when using bandwidth shaping, an administrator can enable SpeedBurst using the checkbox in the Bandwidth Limits section on the Firewall and Traffic Shaping page. SpeedBurst allows each client to exceed their assigned limit in a “burst” for a short period of time, making their experience feel snappier while still preventing any one user from using more than their fair share of bandwidth over the longer term. A user is allowed up to four times their allotted bandwidth limit for a period of up to five seconds.

The Meraki dashboard includes settings to allow support for per-user bandwidth limits when a customer-hosted RADIUS server is used.

Traffic Shaping

Administrators can create shaping policies to apply per user controls on a per-application basis. This allows the throttling of recreational applications such as peer-to-peer file-sharing programs and the prioritization of enterprise applications such as Salesforce.com, ensuring that business-critical application performance is not compromised.

Traffic-shaping rules for applications are applied per-flow, so setting a limit of 5Mbps to three different applications will allow 5Mbps down to each application.

Note: Traffic-shaping rules are applied from top-down and therefore these rules will be applied to the flow which matches first. If enabled, default traffic shaping rules will be affixed to the beginning of the available list of rules configured.

athan1234
Building a reputation

So thanks for the information 

What do you think of the group policy I made for streaming traffic, then?

athan1234_0-1669211980056.png

I'm confused because I think it only takes action when there is internet congestion, in which case real-time traffic will take precedence. Is it not?

You are ignoring It for all Video and music and all social web.  Is this what you want to do?

Rule Definition

Rules can be defined in two ways:

• You can select from various predefined application categories such as Video & Music, Peer-to-Peer, or Email.
  • You can create rules by specifying HTTP hostnames (for example, salesforce.com), port numbers (such as 80), IP ranges (such as 192.168.0.0/16), or IP address range and port combinations (such as 192.168.0.0/16:80).

The rule action is enforced on all traffic that matches the specifications you select. By clicking Add expression, you can create additional specifications for traffic that is shaped according to the same rule action.

Rule Actions

Traffic-matching-specified rule sets can be shaped or prioritized.

• Bandwidth limits can be specified to ignore any limits specified for the whole network, to obey the specified limits, or to apply more-restrictive limits than the network limits. Use the bandwidth slider control to choose the appropriate limit for each type of traffic. To specify asymmetric limits on uploads and downloads, click details next to the bandwidth slider control.

• Priority can be set to High, Normal, or Low, allowing the MX series to prioritize a given network flow relative to the rest of the network traffic. The ratios are as follows:

• High: 4/7

• Normal: 2/7

• Low: 1/7

• Quality of Service (QoS) prioritization can be applied to Layer 3 traffic. To prioritize traffic at Layer 3, select a value for the DSCP tag in the IP header on all incoming and outgoing IP packets. This also affects the Wi-Fi Multimedia (WMM) priority of the traffic.

For the Priority feature to work as desired, ensure that uplink throughput settings are accurate.

For QoS prioritization to work as desired, ensure that upstream networking equipment supports QoS prioritization as well.

Take a look at this article:

https://documentation.meraki.com/General_Administration/Cross-Platform_Content/Simple_Traffic_Shapin...

athan1234
Building a reputation

I don't want to ignore this streaming traffic; I want to prioritise it.

Have you checked the PCP?

alemabrahao_0-1669212904859.png

• Priority can be set to High, Normal, or Low, allowing the MX series to prioritize a given network flow relative to the rest of the network traffic. The ratios are as follows:

• High: 4/7

• Normal: 2/7

• Low: 1/7

• Quality of Service (QoS) prioritization can be applied to Layer 3 traffic. To prioritize traffic at Layer 3, select a value for the DSCP tag in the IP header on all incoming and outgoing IP packets. This also affects the Wi-Fi Multimedia (WMM) priority of the traffic.

For the Priority feature to work as desired, ensure that uplink throughput settings are accurate.

For QoS prioritization to work as desired, ensure that upstream networking equipment supports QoS prioritization as well.

athan1234
Building a reputation

Pcp ? 

it is a new propuse of my client to configure it for  a event it stars tomorrow .

Priority Code Point (PCP) - PCP is used as a means for classifying and managing network traffic, and providing QoS in Layer 2 Ethernet networks. It uses the 3-bit PCP field in the VLAN header for the purpose of packet classification.

athan1234
Building a reputation

I don´t have any idea how I look up  . 

Is this a joke? I showed it to you in a previous post:

alemabrahao_0-1669216481753.png

athan1234
Building a reputation

Sorry  sorry  . 😥

My head is head felt fuzzy.

you don't need to sorry about anything, but just keep in mind that documentation has almost all the information that you need. 😊

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels