cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Traffic / VPN statistics

Highlighted
Getting noticed

Traffic / VPN statistics

Is there any way to track the amount of time a device has been connected to Client VPN, or maybe even a timer on how long it has been connected to the network and maybe a breakdown by IP address? Just something that was asked of me on their way to a meeting so I don't have many more details to really go off of. Our dashboard is set to track via MAC address but even with that being said I am not sure where to even begin trying to think of a way to do this. Any ideas?

3 REPLIES 3
Highlighted
Kind of a big deal

Re: Traffic / VPN statistics

Client VPN users show up under Network-Wide / Clients,  but there is no time info. 

If you authenticate against radius or Active Directory then you can use their logs to establish when users log in.   Radius/NPS also gives you logout so you can calculate the length of time. 

Highlighted
Getting noticed

I have ~130 Client VPN connects currently showing. The only MAC address I currently have is the wireless one of the device. Searching that I get nothing and looking over the Client VPN connections, seems like it might be a randomly generated MAC. What method would you recommend for determining how Meraki sees the device once connected via Client VPN? And to add to it, this particular user is on a very short sleep timer so I am getting domain authentication events like crazy, ~2-4 an hour.

Highlighted
Kind of a big deal

Apart from what @PhilipDAth already said about the radius accounting... There are also client VPN log entries in Network-Wide > Event log under the security appliances events. There are events when a client connects and disconnects and when the SA is deleted. Maybe you can use that and calculate the duration from it.

Unfortunately I don't think there's a cleaner way atm. Do send in a Make a wish for it!

Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.