Traffic Shaping in order to Kill the Pipe

SOLVED
Chris_Hunkler
New here

Traffic Shaping in order to Kill the Pipe

Hi,

I've never posted on here, it's my first time.  I just bought another MX64 appliance for a "branch office."  (my dad's house)  I'm looking into seeing if I'm able to monitor traffic usage and if the limit of 3.6TB is reached then halting all traffic that isn't keep-alive packets to Meraki so that I don't lose access to the security appliance itself.  On a specified time/day it'll release the bonds of the pipe limiting and resume normal operation.

Any ideas?  I don't want to do a per client data cap or a bandwidth cap.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Actually, looks like what your aiming to do can be done via RADIUS health checks on your own, where it will disconnect the client after specific data amount reach. Or here is a random service I found that can do it.

https://apps.meraki.io/details/cloudifi-guest-connect/
Nolan Herring | nolanwifi.com
TwitterLinkedIn

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
Chris_Hunkler
New here

Also more info on this.  WAN1 will be the primary w/ a 3.6TB limit and the WAN2 will be the fail-over.  So scratched what I said about the keep-alive packets.  Is there a way to set a fail-over when the device has passed a specified amount of traffic?

NolanHerring
Kind of a big deal

I'm not aware of any way of doing this with Meraki gear. You could use the bandwidth alerting feature to get an email but that is also somewhat limited.

You'd probably have to rely on the Summary Report page, and do a daily email to yourself for usage to keep an eye on it.
TwitterLinkedIn

Actually, looks like what your aiming to do can be done via RADIUS health checks on your own, where it will disconnect the client after specific data amount reach. Or here is a random service I found that can do it.

https://apps.meraki.io/details/cloudifi-guest-connect/
TwitterLinkedIn

Thanks for the link. This looks more like something geared towards more control on per client limiting and that can be done but that'd be hard to enforce considering clients on this network won't all be equal in usage and the only thing that matters is the pipe data limit itself. Probably can be done with RADIUS though, thank you.
Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels