Traceroute from a VLAN

Solved
amabt
Building a reputation

Traceroute from a VLAN

Am I missing something here or there is no way from the Dashboard to do a traceroute from the MX as if you were on one of the internal VLAN. It seems you can only do a traceroute from an Internet interface?

We need to be able to see the exact path a device on a specific VLAN takes to specific destination without having to jump on to the host.

1 Accepted Solution
alemabrahao
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Unfortunately traceroute is only available for WAN interfaces.

You can have a virtual machine to run the tests when needed.

You just need to think outside the box sometimes.

I am not a Cisco Meraki employee. My suggestions are based on documentation of Meraki best practices and day-to-day experience.

Please, if this post was useful, leave your kudos and mark it as solved.

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4
alemabrahao
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

why don't you want to traceroute from a workstation? The result will be the same.

I am not a Cisco Meraki employee. My suggestions are based on documentation of Meraki best practices and day-to-day experience.

amabt
Building a reputation

Not in all case you will have access from a workstation and or need to quickly check for issue before contacting the user and jumping on their workstation.

Example we have a network where there are only custom Andriod devices with no way to do a traceroute from them.

alemabrahao
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Unfortunately traceroute is only available for WAN interfaces.

You can have a virtual machine to run the tests when needed.

You just need to think outside the box sometimes.

amabt
Building a reputation

Thanks for the confirmation. Just wanted to check in case Its there and I can't see it.

I guess I have to put it in the wish list!

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels