The MX64 caps bandwidth at 250mb/s, can I team/load balance/share 2 of them to get 500mb/s?

kslweinwe
New here

The MX64 caps bandwidth at 250mb/s, can I team/load balance/share 2 of them to get 500mb/s?

So here's the scenario:

Small Office, 25-30 client devices (10 pc's, 10 phones, 10 printers) MX64 as our firewall appliance

Recently, I replaced our "cable" based internet (75 down, 15 up) with a 500 down/500 up fiber line and decided to run a speed test. And of course, as you can tell be the title of this post, it capped out at 250 cinema hd.

I know, what a problem to have. But it is a probem! So I contacted Meraki and my local sales rep suggested that I upgrade to the MX100 at a whopping $4,995 which got me thinking...

Can I insert appropriate method here two MX64's to get my full bandwidth? Because I'd really like to avoid giving my CFO an aneurysm by submitting a purchase order for a $5,000 piece of equipment that is rated for offices 10x-20x our size.

Thanks for any input.

1 REPLY 1
Ryan_Miles
Meraki Employee
Meraki Employee

There are less expensive gig and multigig MX's. The MX75/85/95/105. The MX100 is old and end of sale anyway.

As for load balancing across two MX64's you need to have them both with active licenses (not HA pair) and there would need to be an intelligent downstream device sending traffic to each MX.

Your best best here is get a MX75 and call it good. Or, even go lower to a MX67 which is rated for 450Mbps and you're getting most of what your internet connection provides.

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels