Syslog using TLS

SOLVED
Srinivas
Conversationalist

Syslog using TLS

Is it at all possible to configure the syslog from the MX devices to use some form of TLS encryption instead of UDP? Just seems to be the more secure option. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

It doesn't, and I've never seen an implementation of syslog that uses TLS.  That would be pretty rare.

You could consider building a VPN between the MX and the Syslog server location, and run the syslog data over the VPN.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
NolanHerring
Kind of a big deal

Pretty sure it doesn't support TLS

Are you sending syslog to a public IP?

If its an internal syslog server then it should be secure enough since its either LAN or going over the VPN traffic
Nolan Herring | nolanwifi.com
TwitterLinkedIn
PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

It doesn't, and I've never seen an implementation of syslog that uses TLS.  That would be pretty rare.

You could consider building a VPN between the MX and the Syslog server location, and run the syslog data over the VPN.

Sumologic implements syslog with TLS - in fact syslog-ng also supports TLS based collection.

https://help.sumologic.com/03Send-Data/Sources/02Sources-for-Hosted-Collectors/Cloud-Syslog-Source

Please consider adding support for this as in the case of sumologic it is not possible to setup a VPN as they are a third party hosting the syslog

You'll need to make a wish in the dashboard (bottom right hand corner).

peter-pettigrew
Conversationalist

is there any encryption implemented yet for syslog? my policy demands the connection to be secure and not just a raw syslog transmission to our syslog server

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels