Switching from Single to multiple VLANS

Solved
Cristian_B
Just browsing

Switching from Single to multiple VLANS

Hi community,

I have a network with an MX84, and right now is using Single VLAN. I have the entire site sitting in that single VLAN (servers, computers and so on). I want to switch to multiple VLANS and split the network, but how doesthis change will affect the current deployment? Probably everything will go into VLAN 1? Do I need to schedule downtime? Does anyone tried something like this?

Cristian

1 Accepted Solution
alemabrahao
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Yes, you are right everything will respond on the VLAN. Theoretically there will be no downtime, but it is always good to run within a maintenance window.

I am not a Cisco Meraki employee. My suggestions are based on documentation of Meraki best practices and day-to-day experience.

Please, if this post was useful, leave your kudos and mark it as solved.

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6
alemabrahao
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Yes, you are right everything will respond on the VLAN. Theoretically there will be no downtime, but it is always good to run within a maintenance window.

I am not a Cisco Meraki employee. My suggestions are based on documentation of Meraki best practices and day-to-day experience.

BlakeRichardson
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

I have done this in the past, my suggestion is PLAN everything. Make a document that lists what each VLAN will be used for and the IP subnets for those VLANS.

For subnets that will have devices with Static IP I would create a document for each network and list the new IP address that devices will be moved onto. The great thins with the Meraki dashboard is use you can export the client list from the Network-Wide > Monitor > Clients page to ensure you don't forget anything.

Then I would move one lot of devices at a time i.e. servers, printers, client devices etc. I would personally move your servers first and make sure they can access the internet and then move client devices.

If you have Meraki switches you can add ID tags to ports which will help you identify device type and then change an entire lot over to its new VLAN quickly. 

How many devices are you working with? 

Hi Blake,

I have a single MX. My only concern here is just switching from Single VLAN to Multiple VLAN. What will happen after switching with the clients. By default, I expect everyone to be in the VLAN 1 and no interruption to internet will occur (like alemabrahao suggested) . Whatever I am splitting the users/servers or any other device it doesn't matter now.

Regards,

Cristian

Sorry I misunderstood your initial question, enabling multiple VLANS's should cause an outage as everything should be configured with VLAN1 by default. 

The only think that you have to be careful is:

Note: When VLANs are enabled on a WAN appliance, any DHCP settings that were configured while VLANs were disabled will be deleted.

Fortunately, there is no DHCP enabled on the MX.

Thank you all for your thoughts.

Cristian

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels