Switch showing offline on dashboard

SOLVED
tantony
Head in the Cloud

Switch showing offline on dashboard

I have a Netgear connected to the MX.  But on dashboard, it's showing as offline.  I can ping the switch from MX and the laptop is getting dhcp from the switch, so I know the switch is alive.

I tried a different browser and it's showing the same thing.

Capture.JPG

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
jdsilva
Kind of a big deal

This KB doc is for Wireless, but it applies to all platforms AFAIK. 

https://documentation.meraki.com/MR/Monitoring_and_Reporting/Wireless_Clients_Don't_Appear_on_Client...

There's a threshold of traffic they need to exceed before they appear green (or at all).

View solution in original post

14 REPLIES 14
kYutobi
Kind of a big deal

Does the port light up physically on the MX?

Enthusiast
tantony
Head in the Cloud

Yes, I have link lights on the MX, and if I go to tools on the dashboard, I can ping the switch by it's IP address.  Could it be because it's a non Meraki switch?

kYutobi
Kind of a big deal

What's the port status when you click on client? Could be something simple because you're getting through. Try different cable and reboot Netgear just to say you did or you probably did I'm assuming. 😊 

Enthusiast
tantony
Head in the Cloud

not sure what you mean by port status, but it's the same as the image on my post.  Its grayed out.

kYutobi
Kind of a big deal

When you click on client with the MAC address on the "Description"

Enthusiast
tantony
Head in the Cloud

It's showing grayed on that page also.  I'm going to open a case with Meraki.

kYutobi
Kind of a big deal

I am curious about this. Let me know what the problem is if it gets resolved. Unless your Netgear switch is ancient and you have to use a cross-over cable(joke lol) not sure what it might be.

Enthusiast
tantony
Head in the Cloud

I'll let you know.  It's not an ancient switch 🙂

jdsilva
Kind of a big deal

This KB doc is for Wireless, but it applies to all platforms AFAIK. 

https://documentation.meraki.com/MR/Monitoring_and_Reporting/Wireless_Clients_Don't_Appear_on_Client...

There's a threshold of traffic they need to exceed before they appear green (or at all).

tantony
Head in the Cloud

@jdsilva 

Interesting.  I opened a case with Meraki, let's see what they say.

tantony
Head in the Cloud

@kYutobi @jdsilva 

I got a reply from Meraki support.  They said "Devices will appear in the Network-Wide > Clients page if they pass any Internet Traffic. Connectivity for the device will show up, so long as the device is passing traffic. If the device does not pass traffic for more than a minute then it is marked as offline."

https://documentation.meraki.com/MR/Monitoring_and_Reporting/Clients_Usage_Page_Overview#Navigating_...

kYutobi
Kind of a big deal

@tantony  Thank you for the info. Very insightful.

Enthusiast
tantony
Head in the Cloud

@kYutobi

You're welcome

jdestef17
Getting noticed

It’s a dumb switch. Dump it and get a MS. 😃 

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels