Standing MS and MX hardware on top of each other

SOLVED
Pugmiester
Building a reputation

Standing MS and MX hardware on top of each other

Hi all,

This is a physical and environmental question more than anything fancy.

We have a site with a small data rack and until their old hardware is stripped out to make space, we are looking to stand an MS-120-8 and 2 x MX64's on top of each other. The rack is in an A/C controlled room so there's a reasonable supply of cooling available.

Is that likely to cause any issues with temperature or performance in the short term?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

You should be fine. They have rubber feet on the bottom of them to provide sufficient spacing to allow the heat out.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

You should be fine. They have rubber feet on the bottom of them to provide sufficient spacing to allow the heat out.

Pugmiester
Building a reputation

That's what I was thinking Philip. It's a small site with a whopping 20Mbps internet feed and 30 staff so I can't imagine they are going to generate enough load to make a difference.
MarcP
Kind of a big deal

Did exactly the same with MS120 + 2 MX65, without AC... working since several month without any problems.

Pugmiester
Building a reputation

Great stuff, thanks Marc.

Works fine for me at home. Also have a cat adding heat to it, and it performs.

222222.JPG

Nolan Herring | nolanwifi.com
TwitterLinkedIn
Pugmiester
Building a reputation

ha ha ha, yeah I think we have more airflow that the cat would allow so we should be OK.

Agree with previous posts, you're in the Meraki green, no worries!  Just wanted to add one thought.  We have had customers with small stacks of 3 or 4 pieces of equipment like that right on top of one another, but NOT in an air-conditioned or even well ventilated room.  For US$8 they purchased a USB flexible fan stick and plugged it into the USB port of the MX64, and coiled/pointed it to pass air between the equipment.  Worked great, and the before/after was a difference of over 30 degrees F.  

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels