Slow Site-to-Site VPN traffic

Solved
DSklar
Conversationalist

Slow Site-to-Site VPN traffic

I have a main office with an MX85 and a small remote office with a Z3. Recently, traffic through the VPN tunnel gets very slow during the day. After resetting the Z3, traffic will speed up for a couple of hours but then slow down again. Direct traffic to the internet is very fast at both ends. Pings through the tunnel start in the range 20-30ms but after a couple of hours suddenly increase to 500+ms. Pings to the outside IP address are in the <10ms range at all times. The Z3 reports bandwidth usage  under 5mb/s at peak, usually well below that. If I reset it after office hours, it returns to 20-30ms and stays that way until late morning the next day.

1 Accepted Solution
RaphaelL
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Lots of people claming that S2S performance dropped with that version : https://community.meraki.com/t5/Security-SD-WAN/New-MX-18-107-stable-release-candidate-firmware-many...

I personnally haven't noticed yet. ( running MX68 and MX450 )

View solution in original post

7 Replies 7
RaphaelL
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Hi ,

Have you recently upgraded your MX/Z ? Let's say to version MX18.107 ?

DSklar
Conversationalist

Yes, the Z3 is running firmware 18.107 and the MX85 is running 17.10.2

RaphaelL
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Lots of people claming that S2S performance dropped with that version : https://community.meraki.com/t5/Security-SD-WAN/New-MX-18-107-stable-release-candidate-firmware-many...

I personnally haven't noticed yet. ( running MX68 and MX450 )

DSklar
Conversationalist

Thanks for point that out. I'll try switching to the stable release and see how it performs.

DSklar
Conversationalist

A full day on the 17.10.2 firmware and the issue hasn't come back. I'm going to mark this as solved.

Thanks.

cmr
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

18.107.2 has been released to fix this bug 🙂

I have a StS configuration with 2 mx and 18.107.2 and the connection is 1Mb/s. The connection between one of them and a USG 3p with StS is 10Mb/s which is the maximum that the USG gives.

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels