SD-WAN

SOLVED
Firewall-Dude
Comes here often

SD-WAN

Although SD-WAN is not a direct replacement for MPLS it does seem to get lumped in the conversation none the less.

With all the SD-WAN providers saying that same message that you can reduce your circuit costs by replacing some or all of your MPLS and moving to a broadband transport. No argument here. I have even seen that in the short life-cycle of SD-WAN that there is a 2.0 version, whatever that means! I do like some of the companies that are trying not to lock you into a vendor, but by taking a more agnostic approach to it all. Which brings me to my musings, if SD-WAN is in some sense a direct replacement to MPLS, then wouldn't it stand to reason that SD-WAN providers would support what you can currently get from MPLS, which is VPLS. Layer 2 tunneling is a real need for some companies, and obviously you can't do VPLS with a broadband circuit so the solution to me is that more SD-WAN companies need to develop and support L2TPv3 to augment what VPLS is for MPLS. Thoughts?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
jdsilva
Kind of a big deal

The only SD-WAN vendor I'm aware of doing L2 right now is Nuage. I wouldn't be surprised to see others add that in the future...  I know the MEF70 spec explicitly puts L2 out of scope for the first iteration, but does state it may be added in the future. 

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
jdsilva
Kind of a big deal

The only SD-WAN vendor I'm aware of doing L2 right now is Nuage. I wouldn't be surprised to see others add that in the future...  I know the MEF70 spec explicitly puts L2 out of scope for the first iteration, but does state it may be added in the future. 

Thanks for the response, I'll look at Nuage. I guess that is where I heard the term 2.0 when it came to SD-WAN. Thanks again.

Yup, Nuage is using a 1.0/2.0 version system to describe their platform. I hear lots of promises on the 2.0... But I have yet to see an actual product. This doesn't really apply to other vendors though.

If you really want to see hype then check out Gartner's SASE term.

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels