SD-WAN not suitable for multicast?

LarryS
Comes here often

SD-WAN not suitable for multicast?

I have a couple MX65s I requested for POC.  I've come to the conclusion that Meraki SD-WAN and likely all SD-WAN will not be suitable for my company's use case.  I want to double check with the experts though.  My use case= Multicast video via RTP.  So, you can run multicast over a private line (MPLS, VPLS in my case) no problem, but of course you can't multicast over the public internet.  You can't build a GRE on the MX itself, and if you put it in passthrough mode, that takes away the other WAN port.  I'm guessing you may be able to passthrough to a router and the router can build a GRE through the MX VPN?  Even so, this would leave an MX for each WAN with no actual WAN auto failover between the two WANs. 

To clarify, my interest in SD-WAN is mitigating errors in video in an efficient way.  Currently we use event manager for failover to backup router and manual failover back to primary.  Also, two VPLS is not an option as we are trying to save money as well.

Am I missing something?  Can you Multicast through a private link with DIA as backup with auto failover at a branch site by any means? 

3 REPLIES 3
LarryS
Comes here often

Scouring some of the posts here, looks like there might be a beta that has multicast.  I'll see if I can get that going. 

@LarryS wrote:

Scouring some of the posts here, looks like there might be a beta that has multicast.  I'll see if I can get that going. 

Which beta is that?

To get multicast to work in my environment I have had to put a third party security gateway ahead of the MX. This additional security device routes the Internet originated multicast encrypted stream to a playout device that is compatible with the stream architecture, via a switch that can be configured for IGMPv3 snooping (don't want to flood the network).

An unexpected bonus is that using this architecture one may keep all unsafe devices(think anything "smart") away from the secure network protected by the MX. There are several devices connected by HDMI cables that bridge the two environments.

Is there such a thing as a "smart" device? I doubt it. Is this just a domestic issue? No, we are already deploying smart lighting and similar in commercial environments.

Robin St.Clair | Principal, Caithness Analytics | @uberseehandel
PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Meraki MX does not support multicast over AutoVPN.

Cisco iWAN does support multicast,  This runs on ISR routers.  The Cisco Validated Design guide can be found here:

https://www.cisco.com/c/dam/en/us/td/docs/solutions/CVD/Oct2016/CVD-IWANDeployment-2016OCT.pdf

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels