SCP / SFTP File Tranfer Issue

Paulmc1
New here

SCP / SFTP File Tranfer Issue

Hi Guys,

Im not sure if I have posted this in the correct place but I am hoping that someone can help!

We have a couple of Linux servers on separate sites.  We have Meraki Appliances and we are using the Auto VPN to connect the sites,

Over the last couple of months our SFTP and SCP transfer speeds keep dropping to about 700kb/s.  This does not happen with SMB.

We have checked the MTU size and set it to 1500,  We have also tried white listing the clients but this has still not increased the speed,  We have also disabled AMP and deleted any traffic shaping rules,

Does any one have any more ideas?

Thanks for your help,

Best Regards

Paul

6 Replies 6
BrechtSchamp
Kind of a big deal

What SCP / SFTP client are you using?

Both protocols will probably never win races, but they should probably go faster than that?

This was first bought up by a SCP transfer,  but we have done some testing and seen it is SFTP as well

@BrechtSchamp wrote:

What SCP / SFTP client are you using?

WinSCP,  is there a better client to use?

PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Sometimes this can happen when an MTU sequeeze happens between the server and client.

On either the server or a client, try reducing the MTU on the machine to say 1300.  If that doesn't resolve it change the settings back.

Another common issue is asymetric circuit timing.  I would try enabling TCP timestamping and see if that helps it.  Ideally it needs to be done on both ends, as setting it on only one will cause timestamps to only be used in one driection.

This article says how to enable it on Linux and Windows.

http://ithitman.blogspot.com/2013/02/enabling-tcp-timestamp-linux-and-windows.html

I asked because I came by this topic:

https://winscp.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=25705 

I changed most relevant settings but the one that actually worked was to disable Connection -> Optimize connection buffer size.
Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels