Routing traffic to remote MX64 for US DNS

wrespawn
Here to help

Routing traffic to remote MX64 for US DNS

Hello, we have Geotagging enabled to direct US traffic and Canadian traffic to specific pages on our website. We're just expanding into the states with our first location and we need to start viewing our website from a US point of view. I'm not sure what the best way to do this is. I did setup a MX64 in our empty US office that has a VPN tunnel up with the MX in our regular Canadian Head Office, there's no person onsite in the US office, it's used right now as move as a war room for when people do travel into the US from our main HQ.  Anyhow, I was hoping to use this VPN setup but I'm not sure how to get it configured to work. Do I need a DNS server on the US side or is there a way I can simply route all the traffic from the internal IP of the remote US MX64? I need a simple solution that I can implement and toggle for a variety of people within our office.  Thanks. 

3 Replies 3
PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Personally, I would use Amazon AWS.

You can spin up a t2.micro in each country you want to test from.  It's something like 1.3 cents per hour.

https://aws.amazon.com/about-aws/whats-new/2014/07/01/introducing-t2-the-new-low-cost-general-purpos...

So when you want to test, just start the machine up.  RDP to it, and then start web browsing.

I think the issue would be that it would need top be up all the time, as it wouldn't be practical for people to come to me to spin up the machine every time they needed to access the US site. Additionally, if it was a simple machine for people to RDP into, two people couldn't use the connection at the same time. Any other suggestions?

PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

If you keep it up all the time it is only about $5 per month. Two machines would be $10 per month.  You are going to find it hard to find another solution this cost effective.

The next solution I would recommend is Amazon Workspaces - their managed desktop service.

https://aws.amazon.com/workspaces/

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels