Router recommendation for warm spare

Trust
Comes here often

Router recommendation for warm spare

hello all,
I have a question about the warm spare with two mx84.

So far we have equipped our networks with mx68. The mx68 are connected to two different ISPs.
In front of each uplink is a modem installed and the dial-up takes the MX via PPPoE.

Now I want to operate two MX84 in warm spare. In this constellation, dial-up via PPPoE will no longer work.

As I understood the Meraki documentation, I need two upstream routers and a virtual IP for the two MX84. Then the uplinks via two switches to the two MXes.

My question is now with which routers you have good experience.
It does not have to be expensive or offer many features.
- A stable connection
- respond to ICMP packets
- forward all ports to the MXes

Thanks all

5 Replies 5
alemabrahao
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Are you talking about the ISP router?

His question was kind of vague.

I am not a Cisco Meraki employee. My suggestions are based on documentation of Meraki best practices and day-to-day experience.

Please, if this post was useful, leave your kudos and mark it as solved.

Oh sorry I wasn't quite sure how to describe it.

Yes exactly it is about the ISP router. I have thought of a Draytek Vigor 2766

ISP1 > Draytek1 > MS Switch1 > MX84 pri and spare
ISP2 > Draytek2 > MS Switch2 > MX84 pri and spare

There will be many users who have experience with different routers and can give a recommendation.

PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Warm spare configuration for an MX84 (have you seen there is an MX85 now?) is exactly the same as for an MX68.

The MX84s can have their own separate Internet connection, just like MX68s, with the same limitations (mostly to do with inbound NATing of services).

You can have 1 ISP router and plug both MX into it, or two ISP routers, and plug both MXs into both routers.

Trust
Comes here often

thank you for your answer.
That's exactly how I wanted to do it. My question was only, if there are experiences from the community, which manufacturer or router model is best for Meraki. I have read about a few problems with a few routers.

alemabrahao
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

There is no the best router model, it's no relevant.

I am not a Cisco Meraki employee. My suggestions are based on documentation of Meraki best practices and day-to-day experience.

Please, if this post was useful, leave your kudos and mark it as solved.
Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels