Roadmap for SSL Deep Packet Inspection

KrisWithaK
Conversationalist

Roadmap for SSL Deep Packet Inspection

I'm reading reports stating that as much as 72% of Internet traffic is SSL encrypted.  Aside from just having an effective endpoint security solution, deep packet inspection at the edge is a critical function of modern firewalls.  Where does the release of hardware and OS supporting DPI on the Meraki platform sit on the product roadmap?

Thank you!

7 Replies 7
jdsilva
Kind of a big deal

This is great.  I imagine that turning this on severely impacts performance as it does with every firewall.  It makes me wonder if Meraki has some higher-performance MX models coming out to meet that challenge in the enterprise. 

>I imagine that turning this on severely impacts performance as it does with every firewall.

Basically you take a 90% performance hit.  It turns a 1Gb/s MX into a 100Mb/s MX.

You can use group policy to selectively apply it to only certain clients to alievaite this somewhat.

This is the instructions for configuring TLS decryption.

https://documentation.meraki.com/MX/Content_Filtering_and_Threat_Protection/HTTPS_Inspection

Thanks, Philip.  I work in telecommunications, and we sell a lot of Meraki.  I am finding a serious lack of DPI support here, and I am hoping to soon have an option for my more security-conscious customers.  And hey, if they have information that important to protect, they will have the budget for a bigger firewall, so hopefully Meraki will follow the official release with something north of the MX450.

jillescas
Conversationalist

You can call support to enable beta caracteristics.

greetings.

DPI SSL is fast becoming an issue. The problem I see is by inspecting SSL traffic you are actually breaking what SSL was designed for which was to be encrypted traffic.

I would have also thought more than 90% of internet traffic would be SSL TBH.

PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

@KrisWithaK wrote:

I'm reading reports stating that as much as 72% of Internet traffic is SSL encrypted.  Aside from just having an effective endpoint security solution, deep packet inspection at the edge is a critical function of modern firewalls.  Where does the release of hardware and OS supporting DPI on the Meraki platform sit on the product roadmap?

I don't agree with you about the important of TLS deep packet inspection.  I explained why here:

https://community.meraki.com/t5/Security-SD-WAN/MX-HTTPS-Inspection-Coming/m-p/45872/highlight/true#...

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels