Reduce usage of the cellular gateway

Solved
DavidTa
Comes here often

Reduce usage of the cellular gateway

I have 2 MXs, and internet link and a MG21 cellular gateway.  I've configured the internet (WAN1) as the primary link and load balancing is disabled.  I still see some traffic on the backup link via the MG21 cellular gateway, more than I was expecting. 

Is there anyway to reduce the 'keepalive' traffic on the backup link? 

Note: I don't mind increasing failover times (within reason), if I reduce cellular costs.

1 Accepted Solution
PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

From my experience, you'll use 100MB of cellular data per month while sitting in standby.

You can't do anything about it.

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3
PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

From my experience, you'll use 100MB of cellular data per month while sitting in standby.

You can't do anything about it.

Is this 100MB when in standby and not active / active with WAN1 as preffered right?  

We initially were using MG21's as an active WAN2 connection (for seamless failover if WAN1 had significant issues) but were really surprised by the data consumption even when not really failing over.  I just changed one of our sites to keep WAN2 in standby and not active to see what the usage does.  

PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

>Is this 100MB when in standby

Yes.

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels