Procedure to upgrade an MX64 to an MX84

ChadWorthman
Conversationalist

Procedure to upgrade an MX64 to an MX84

Hi there,

I'm looking at replacing a couple MX64s with MX84s.  I'm wondering what the ideal replacement procedure would be?  I'm guessing copy the existing MX64 network to a new network, adjust the physical port layout on the appliance, then do the physical cable swap?

Is there an in-place upgrade/replacement option?

Thanks,

Chad

5 REPLIES 5
MRCUR
Kind of a big deal

First step is to configure any local settings on the MX like static IP (if required). You can then either clone the existing MX network, or remove the existing MX64 from its network and then add the new 84 to that network. The network retains all the config info. 

If you use site-to-site VPN, you'll need to re-enable that feature (all settings will be retained) after the swap. 

MRCUR | CMNO #12
PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

This is really simple @ChadWorthman.  Simple remove the MX64 from the network in the dashboard, and then add your new MX84 to that same network.  Everything will transfer across nicely.

As @MRCUR said, if you have configured anything via the local status page (such as PPPoE username, static IP, etc) you will need to do the same thing on your MX84.

Adam
Kind of a big deal

One thing to possibly watch out for is the port mapping.  I seem to recall that port 1 on the MX64 didn't necessarily map to port 1 on the MX84 etc.  But it has been a while since we did this.  

As the others said.  You can just remove the MX64 and add the MX84 and it'll get the same config.  The only thing you may have to manually set is the Uplink IP's so, as also specified above, you can set those on the device before doing the swap.  

Adam R MS | CISSP, CISM, VCP, MCITP, CCNP, ITILv3, CMNO
If this was helpful click the Kudo button below
If my reply solved your issue, please mark it as a solution.
CharlesIsWorkin
Building a reputation

Hi dudes,
I am going to be doing the same thing Chad is doing.
Hey Chad, did you do it? How did it go?

So guys, the "network" in the Meraki dashboard retains all the configuration such as Wireless configs and Traffic Shaping and SD-WAN and all that? I really want to be sure before pulling the plug on my MX64!
Thanks for helping me along guys!

Hey all, well the switchover went fine! We have been running on it for a little while now. I just had to watch out for what Adam mentioned in his comment. I reconfigured the local ports on the MX84 to allow the same vlans that I had on the mx64, then all was good. By default they allow everything anyway, so initially connecting wasn't a problem.
Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels