Print Server over VPN

Solved
CloudData
Here to help

Print Server over VPN

Would there be anything on an Azure to Meraki (site to peer) VPN that may block a print from being pushed to a Print server on a VM in azure?

The VPN is online and i can ping and even RDP into the Azure VM on its local IP from the site. 

1 Accepted Solution
CloudData
Here to help

Thank you everyone for the input.

I resolved the issue, my setup was right i just had to allow Port 8100 in the VM firewall.

Worked it out by using wireshark

For those wondering what i was setting up it was a cloud solution for an onprem application that pushes a print to a onprem server. Everytime the main site went down the other sites couldn't access the Server on the VPN.

I recreated it with a Azure to Meraki VPN that then pushed an application print to an Azure VM that had an IIS server connecting to a web server, running as a Print Proxy Server. it then pushes the print to Universal print and back to a site. 
This also allowed the application to be installed on PCs from Edge on the VM public IP. 

Now each site runs individually and access the same functions in the cloud. 

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6
PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

No.

Have you allowed the traffic in Windows firewall?

Thank you for the speedy reply. 
yes I’ve check this, even turned it off to rule it out. 

AndrejR
Conversationalist

Are you able to send a test print from your VM in Azure to any printer that is on your on-prem location? It might be the printer spooler service that needs to be restarted. When was the last time you where able to print? Can it be that some windows updates are causing the problem?

I have setup universal print in azure to print back to the printer. 
I did a test print on the VM yesterday and it worked. 

AndrejR
Conversationalist

Ok. I do not think that the problem is in Meraki at all.

What i have seen in production with setup like yours is that if the universal print is on Windows 2016 in Azure there are two things in my opinion that you can consider:

1. From time to time the print service just stops and you will need to restart it.If that is the case with you i recommend to try on Windows 2019 or 2022 in Azure.

2. Some printers are very sensitive to driver compatibility and universal printing. For instance Develop Ineo is one manufacturer that you have to check with the vendor and forum which is the best driver.

Hope this helps :).

CloudData
Here to help

Thank you everyone for the input.

I resolved the issue, my setup was right i just had to allow Port 8100 in the VM firewall.

Worked it out by using wireshark

For those wondering what i was setting up it was a cloud solution for an onprem application that pushes a print to a onprem server. Everytime the main site went down the other sites couldn't access the Server on the VPN.

I recreated it with a Azure to Meraki VPN that then pushed an application print to an Azure VM that had an IIS server connecting to a web server, running as a Print Proxy Server. it then pushes the print to Universal print and back to a site. 
This also allowed the application to be installed on PCs from Edge on the VM public IP. 

Now each site runs individually and access the same functions in the cloud. 

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels