What is the procedure to replace an existing router with minimal downtime?

Solved
shark92651
Comes here often

What is the procedure to replace an existing router with minimal downtime?

I have a MX68 in a half cabinet at a colocation data center, along with a couple servers hosting a website and SQL Server. I have purchased a used, unclaimed MX85 that I plan to replace the MX68 with. The current router is online and configured with a few firewall and VPN settings. I have not yet purchased a license for the MX85. What would be the procedure to setup and configure the MX85 prior to installing it in the cabinet and attaching it to the WAN? Can I get it mostly setup at the office by plugging it into the LAN and then just quickly swap out the routers at the data center? Any help or links to make this transition go smoothly would be greatly appreciated.

1 Accepted Solution
KarstenI
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

I didn't watch the video, but yes, it is simple. In a DC setup, you likely still have to set the public IP. After the equipment change, the AutoVPN has to be re-enabled. 

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3
KarstenI
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Is this the only Meraki Gear in that network? Then I would setup a new Dashboard network with the MX85, configure it identically to the old one and also setup the MX85 identically with the same WAN addresses.

In your downtime you just have to move the cables from the MX68 to the MX85. Ok, some clearing of ARP caches could also be needed depending on the devices.

shark92651
Comes here often

In this subnet, yes is the only Meraki router, although I have 2 retail locations on different subnets with MX67 routers. I have VPNs configured between all 3 locations. I found this video that seems to indicate that the settings will be automatically transferred by merely removing one device from the dashboard and adding in the new one. Is it really this simple?

KarstenI
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

I didn't watch the video, but yes, it is simple. In a DC setup, you likely still have to set the public IP. After the equipment change, the AutoVPN has to be re-enabled. 

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels