Policy based routing for WiFi SSID

tantony
Head in the Cloud

Policy based routing for WiFi SSID

I asked this in UniFi forums, and they said I have to do policy based routing.  Any suggestions?

https://community.ui.com/questions/SSID-routing-question/c63dc15a-13db-4688-9803-3b3f8dae6047

I’m not sure if this is even possible. I have 5 UniFi APs in my network. The APs have 2 SSIDs. One of the SSID is on VLAN 4. The APs are connected to Netgear trunk ports.

Two of the APs are in office area and the remaining 3 APs are in warehouse. Office area and warehouse is connected using fiber transceiver. I have 2 fiber transceivers one for each network.

Heres my question. I want the SSID on VLAN 4 to go through one fiber and the other SSID to go through the other fiber. Is this possible?

6 REPLIES 6
kYutobi
Kind of a big deal

One fiber trunk port allow VLAN 4 the other Trunk port allow other SSID VLAN no?

Enthusiast
tantony
Head in the Cloud

@kYutobi 

That's what I thought but just wanted to make sure.  The other option is to have one AP for one SSID, and another AP for the other SSID, which means I have to buy and install 5 APs just for VLAN 4 SSID.  But this is not a good choice.

kYutobi
Kind of a big deal

As far as what you're attempting to do should be no problem. Not sure about installing 5 AP's though.

Enthusiast
tantony
Head in the Cloud

@kYutobi 

So just to make sure, its not possible to have one SSID go through one fiber, and other SSID on another fiber if both SSIDs are originating from the same access point.

I agree, installing 5 more APs is not really a good solution.

kYutobi
Kind of a big deal

I wasn't aware that was the case @tantony that the SSIDs originated from the AP. I am not sure of that because I do not know much about the Unis you use. 

Enthusiast
PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

>so just to make sure, its not possible to have one SSID go through one fiber, and other SSID on another fiber if both SSIDs are originating from the same access point.

You are probably going to struggle using the kit you have.

You need to map each SSID a seperate VLAN.  You need to configure the switches to use one uplink  for one VLAN and the other for the second VLAN.

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels