Per VLAN bandwidth limit on MX84

Quimax
Getting noticed

Per VLAN bandwidth limit on MX84

We have a global bandwidth set to 7Mbps. I want to set a 2nd VLAN, on the same WAN1 connection, to use no more than 3Mbps; it's not per client. Whether there is 1 client or 30, no more than 3Mbps on that vlan.

Is this doable in any way, shape or form? Group policy when applied to a VLAN seems to be a per-client limit for each device in that VLAN. I'm not sure what else to try.

6 REPLIES 6
BrechtSchamp
Kind of a big deal

Have you tried like this:

2019-04-24 14_50_53-Clipboard.png

As @BrechtSchamp explains just select the VLAN IP scope you want to control bandwidth limits and go from there.

Enthusiast

I can't test this from where I am, so I have to wait until tomorrow.

Does this work best in the "global" traffic shaping rules or in the Group policy?

BrechtSchamp
Kind of a big deal

Well I'm afraid they may both enforce 3Mbps per client rather than for the sum of users. But in the global one you have a bigger chance that it's a global limit.

Give it a test, and let us know.

In the global section, I can't set the limit higher than the per-client limit that's set. So, I set it in the Group Policy and we'll see what happens.

PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

I tend to create a group policy, set the bandwidth limit there, and then apply it to the VLAN.

https://documentation.meraki.com/MX/Group_Policies_and_Blacklisting/Creating_and_Applying_Group_Poli...

I also tend to put pre-vlan firewall rules there rather than using global firewall rules.  It makes things easier to understand when there are lots of rules when you can go and look at a policy that contains nothing but what affects the users on that vlan.

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels