PXE Boot Meraki

AlexanderDrago
Getting noticed

PXE Boot Meraki

Hello, everyone!

Can you tell me what different between Boot next-server and Boot filename. Because i understand that Boot file you write full path with ip or dns-name to another server ? Am i right ?

Can you show some examples? Thank you

8 REPLIES 8
Ben
A model citizen

Hi,

boot-next server - IP for the server running the deployment services

boot file name - e.g: boot/x64/wdsnbp.com 

Regards,

Ben

@Ben wrote:

Hi,

boot-next server - IP for the server running the deployment services

boot file name - e.g: boot/x64/wdsnbp.com 

Regards,

Ben

So you mean boot file name - e.g: boot/x64/wdsnbp.com Hm where is this file you putted ? Cause i don't understand is this putted to your local place in router or on your server ? Can you explaine. Thank you

What system are u using to pxe boot devices? SCCM? 

Because when you PXE boot the server running your deployment service always has a default path for the boot file name.

for sccm this is boot/x64 ... or in older versions "smsboot\x86\wdsnbp.com"

If your pxe boot deployment is configured correctly this is not something you should hardcode in the DHCP options. 

This should be delivered by your server.

This is not really a network issue but rather a deployment issue on your sever end as I think you should never really hard code the DHCP options for the boot file names into your DHCP.

Regards,

Ben

@Ben wrote:

What system are u using to pxe boot devices? SCCM? 

Because when you PXE boot the server running your deployment service always has a default path for the boot file name.

for sccm this is boot/x64 ... or in older versions "smsboot\x86\wdsnbp.com"

If your pxe boot deployment is configured correctly this is not something you should hardcode in the DHCP options. 

This should be delivered by your server.

This is not really a network issue but rather a deployment issue on your sever end as I think you should never really hard code the DHCP options for the boot file names into your DHCP.

Regards,

Ben

I only starting thinking about configure PXE. I want to configure on Linux PXE. As I know for PXE need dhcp-server. When i and my collegue have found this option on meraki i was suprised because another routers dont have this option and for them need configure dhcp-server with PXE.

You can consider this as an extra feature but in normal circumstances you would not need this as your PXE deployment server broadcasts it's boot file name to the appropriate clients.

Cheers,

Ben

I have a twist on this setup. We are starting to use PXE for our W10 deployment. We are 100% cloud (Azure) with no servers or distribution points in remote sites. As of right now I have Option 66 & 67 configured in my DHCP scope on the MX. When we attempt to initiate PXE boot the PC simply sits idol with what appears to be no attempt the reach out. 

Any thoughts different that already out there?

Ben
A model citizen

Dennis,

Can the clients you are trying to pxe boot ping the ip of your PXE server? 

I assume you are working with a Vmx for azure? 

Cheers,

Ben

@Ben  Yes all devices can ping into Azure(vMX)... I have it working now.

The Boot Options section in the DHCP config is designed for PXE boot parameters. I added the correct info into the fields, "Boot Next-Sever" and "Boot filiename" once done PXE works great. (all of which you mentioned earlier)

Thanks for the inquiry.

-Dennis 

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels