PPoE Authentication Method

SOLVED
JoshVanDeraa
Conversationalist

PPoE Authentication Method

Anyone aware of what type of authentication method that the MX line (MX65) uses for PPoE authentication? We have sites that use PAP for auth, and one site has CHAP. We are replacing ASAs that have the two options mentioned and MS-CHAP as an option as well.

Thanks in advance.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
DCooper
Meraki Alumni (Retired)
Meraki Alumni (Retired)

@JoshVanDeraaWe only support PAP, we will refuse any other method (any CHAP or EAP)

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
Uberseehandel
Kind of a big deal

@JoshVanDeraa wrote:

Anyone aware of what type of authentication method that the MX line (MX65) uses for PPoE authentication? We have sites that use PAP for auth, and one site has CHAP. We are replacing ASAs that have the two options mentioned and MS-CHAP as an option as well.

Thanks in advance.

When configuring the MX64/65 one just selects authentication, it doesn't ask about PAP or CHAP. 

I use a modem that configures itself for the appropriate ISP network, and it set itself up just fine. So, although I know the ISP uses a VLAN, the modem takes care of that, and the MX seems to handle Baby Jumbo packets.

Robin St.Clair | Principal, Caithness Analytics | @uberseehandel
PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

I suspect it will support both.  The authentication method is a negotiated parameter of the two ends (both have to agree which to use, and then they use it).

DCooper
Meraki Alumni (Retired)
Meraki Alumni (Retired)

@JoshVanDeraaWe only support PAP, we will refuse any other method (any CHAP or EAP)

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels