PPPOE Issue

Bri84
Comes here often

PPPOE Issue

I just cannot seem to get PPOE working on an MX84.

I'm using a draytek vigor 130 modem connected to WAN 2 on the MX84.

Draytek is configured with defaults, local settings on MX are set to PPPOE for WAN 2 with the username and password entered, dynamic IP and no VLAN tag.

I have done some tests from the laptop plugging into the 130 then creating a new PPPOE connection and using the DSL user/pwd and managed to dial the connection, get an external IP and browse the internet so i know the issue is not to do with VLAN tags on the port or an issue with the username/pwd.

Am i missing something stupid here? I've used other connections with PPPOE enabled before using other firewalls but never a Meraki.

Thanks,

Bri 

11 REPLIES 11
wifijanitor
Meraki Employee
Meraki Employee

so two dumb question:

1) when you are putting the username and password in are hitting tab to move to the next field, or are you clicking in the box?

2) is there a trailing white space on either the username or password?

Hi, 

I've tried multiple ways, copy/paste then checking for spaces at the start/end of the string, manually typing the user/pwd. all sorts

Driving me mad! 🙂 

PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Anything interesting in the Meraki event log?

Anything interesting in the local status page being reported?

Bri84
Comes here often

Only just back on site to look at this properly again. Everything seems fine on the local status page and can't see much in the event log. 

It almost seems like an issue with the pppoe client on the device itself, i can dial through the modem with the same username and password on the laptop no problem, also connecting a draytek router on the line with the same pppoe user/password it works fine too.

I've tried the Meraki now with a draytek 130 modem and now also one of the BTOpenreach ECI type modems and seem to have exactly the same, tried with and without vlan 101.

Meraki support did a packet trace and their response was that the device was sending PADI pppoe frames but not receiving any PADO responses back, but it just doesn't make sense that i can connect other devices to the same connection and dial through without an issue, yet the Meraki does not connect.

Just can't believe something so simple has literally taken up days of my time. 

Thanks,

Bri

Have you used WAN 1?,  see if you get the same results.

I have used it before and it has worked for me on a MX84. Also, after making all the changes, make sure to restart the modem 1st and the MX.
kYutobi
Kind of a big deal

Bri84
Comes here often

Ive tried the config on both WAN1 and WAN2 with the same result. I've done some more testing today and I can use exactly the same hardware Draytek 130/mx84 on a different provider VDSL connection (Zen) but the combination of MX & provider Vodafone does not seem to work.

Just to breakdown what I've tested.

Vodafone provider

MX & Draytek 130 (doesn't work)

MX & BT Openreach modem (doesn't work)

Draytek 2860 router (works)

Sonicwall with with Draytek or BT modem (works)

Zen provider

MX & Draytek 130 modem (works)

Sonicwall & Draytek 130 (works)

Draytek 2860 router (works)

So to me it seems like something directly related to the Vodafone provider and MX, the only thing that's obvious to me is that in the pppoe username for vodafone there is a hyphen and I'm not sure is this is causing some issue with the MX or not. I won't lie but the support from Meraki on this has been poor and at the moment I've got a £3k door stop.

PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

I'm wonmdering if you have a buggy firmware load on that MX.  Could you trying plugging it into an existing working network and let its WAN port DHCP an address and then come online?

I suspect it needs a firmware upgrade.

Bri84
Comes here often

I've already done that also, it's been online and firmware is currently up to date and on 14.40 

cmr
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Try 15.19, we are using the 15.x range for a production SDWAN for a 9 site 1500+ employee company and it has worked well.

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels