OpenDNS with dhcp on MX WAN uplink

khowanitz
Here to help

OpenDNS with dhcp on MX WAN uplink

Our uplink is DHCP. I would like to override the dns settings for the WAN port and instead use OpenDNS servers. (I don't particularly like or trust the ISP's dns servers)  It looks like I can only specify the dns servers for the MX65 WAN uplink if I purchase a static IP assignment?

7 REPLIES 7
PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

You can just change the DNS servers used on the DHCP configuration of your MX (which is given to the clients) rather than the MX itself.

I have already done that, but I don't want the MX to use dns results from dns servers I don't trust.

On the MX side, I don't think you can statically configure DNS servers which at the same time having DHCP enabled.

Thanks, I made it a wishlist.

Adam
Kind of a big deal

We have a similar setup but don't need to change the DNS on the WAN port.  We just make sure their DHCP goes to either OpenDNS or our local DNS server and it has forwarders setup to OpenDNS.  Even if you could change the WAN DNS it wouldn't stop someone from statically setting their computers DNS to a public DNS.  The only way to prevent that is to block all DNS queries via firewall to anything except OpenDNS.  

Adam R MS | CISSP, CISM, VCP, MCITP, CCNP, ITILv3, CMNO
If this was helpful click the Kudo button below
If my reply solved your issue, please mark it as a solution.

That is exactly one of my actions, block egress udp & tcp port 53 to limit exposure to things like:

https://blog.talosintelligence.com/2017/03/dnsmessenger.html

For small branch offices, it would be nice to additionally use the mx as a dns proxy, but that only works if uses dns servers I trust.

Adam
Kind of a big deal

Makes sense, can you order a static IP for your WAN connection?  Not a huge deal but I see your dilemma of not being able to just set static DNS on the WAN port.  

Adam R MS | CISSP, CISM, VCP, MCITP, CCNP, ITILv3, CMNO
If this was helpful click the Kudo button below
If my reply solved your issue, please mark it as a solution.
Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels