cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

OSPF advertises entire route table?

SOLVED
Building a reputation

OSPF advertises entire route table?

Did a quick test of taking one of my DC hubs and configuring OSPF on the inside interface (dual arm NAT) to the core DC router (Meraki is only for non-mpls remote sites).

Ithought the DC MX would only advertise the routes learned from spoke sites terminating to that MX, but instead it advertised *all* routes including that of other hubs. This probably wouldn't have been an issue, except it learned some static zero routes we have defined in the DC MXs (to force all Meraki traffic into core DC for egress).

I think it is working as designed, but certainly not what I wanted.

Instead of making the Meraki part of area 0, I will need to create a separate area then filter the routes learned from the Meraki for redistribution?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Kind of a big deal

Re: OSPF advertises entire route table?

I never thought this far into this since I haven't had to use it, but based on the description I guess it does make sense. The docs say AutoVPN learned routes, and having an all Hub deployment (full mesh) is a viable config so those routes would have to be advertised. 

Given this, I agree that I would create an area just for the MX and do whatever route filtering was required at the ABR back into area 0. 

Since the MX can't learn route over OSPF you could even make it a totally stubby area so you don't send the MX LSAs it's not going to use anyway. 

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
Highlighted
Kind of a big deal

I never thought this far into this since I haven't had to use it, but based on the description I guess it does make sense. The docs say AutoVPN learned routes, and having an all Hub deployment (full mesh) is a viable config so those routes would have to be advertised. 

Given this, I agree that I would create an area just for the MX and do whatever route filtering was required at the ABR back into area 0. 

Since the MX can't learn route over OSPF you could even make it a totally stubby area so you don't send the MX LSAs it's not going to use anyway. 

View solution in original post

Building a reputation

Ok, thx for the reply and confirmation.
Kind of a big deal

The OSPF support is - limited.

Go for the BGP option.  Much more comprehensive.  It is also 2-way rather than 1-way with the OSPF support.

https://documentation.meraki.com/MX/Networks_and_Routing/BGP 

Building a reputation

Can't do BGP with dual arm mode.
Kind of a big deal

You can't do eBGP.  You can do iBGP.  I have not personally tried this myself.

https://documentation.meraki.com/MX/Networks_and_Routing/BGP#NAT_Mode 

NAT Mode

• iBGP establishes relationships over autovpn and will establish and exchange routes between:
    • A BGP peer acting as a One-Armed Concentrator in the DC and-
    • A NAT mode MX.
  • eBGP peer relationships are not available for MXs operating as NAT mode VPN concentrators and are only supported on One-Armed Concentrators.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.