Non Meraki VPN tunnel up but I can't ping the DNS server

Nabil1
Here to help

Non Meraki VPN tunnel up but I can't ping the DNS server

Hi Everyone,

I have established a site to site vpn between MX 68CW and AWS. the tunnel is up on AWS and Meraki Dashboard. The problem is that I can't ping my DNS server which is on AWS. It looks like something is missing . The routing is enabled on AWS and Meraki . I suspect something to add on security group but I am not sure.

My local Lan is 10.200.45.0/24 and the vpc is CIDR is 172.31.0.0/16. Could you help me please , I am kind new .

Nabil1_0-1716929339030.png

Nabil1_1-1716929384624.png

18 Replies 18
alemabrahao
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Make sure you don't have any ACLs in Azure that are blocking ICMP (this is most likely).

I am not a Cisco Meraki employee. My suggestions are based on documentation of Meraki best practices and day-to-day experience.

Please, if this post was useful, leave your kudos and mark it as solved.

https://docs.aws.amazon.com/vpc/latest/userguide/vpc-network-acls.html

I am not a Cisco Meraki employee. My suggestions are based on documentation of Meraki best practices and day-to-day experience.

I've already checked that , nothing blocked my ICMP packets

alemabrahao
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

How about routes? 

Have you tried disabling your server's local firewall?

Otherwise, open a support case.

alemabrahao
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

By the way check this.

https://ritcsec.wordpress.com/2018/08/12/a-visual-guide-to-setting-up-a-meraki-to-aws-site-to-site-v...

Hello, 

I did use this link to setup my site to site vpn. the tunnel is up but still the ping is unseccessfull.

I have checked the ACL everything looks fine.

alemabrahao
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Don't forget that you can restrict both ACLs and the security group. If you don't have an ACL, review the security group, otherwise open a support case as suggested previously.

More specifically on inbound rules.

Ok so it's better to open support case with AWS because I do not think it's meraki issue ?

alemabrahao
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Yes

Shubh3738
Getting noticed

You have to check with Cisco TAC and Your AWS support Person jointly.

Surely, his issue with AWS side.

And Which Firmware version are you using in MX Meraki ?

Hi, Current version: MX 18.107.2

IvanJukic
Meraki Employee
Meraki Employee

Hi Nabil,

Have a look at this tshoot guide from Meraki and AWS . There has been some known road blocks with IKEv1 with "one unique security association per Tunnel". 

https://documentation.meraki.com/MX/Site-to-site_VPN/Troubleshooting_Non-Meraki_Site-to-site_VPN_Pee...

https://docs.aws.amazon.com/vpn/latest/s2svpn/your-cgw.html

Cheers,
Ivan Jukić

Cheers,

Ivan Jukić,
Meraki APJC

If you found this post helpful, please give it kudos. If it solved your problem, click "accept as solution" so that others can benefit from it.
PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

The #1 issue I run into when investigating these is - Windows Firewall.  Try disabling it temporarily.

It's disabled

jfigueroa
Here to help

Hello, Nabil

Did you enable the LAN under Addressing & Vlans? Also check if under DHCP to what your DNS nameservers are set to and what IP's were assigned for Customs nameservers.

Thanks.

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels