New high speed and Netgear Nighthawk in front of MX and static routes

KenMage
Here to help

New high speed and Netgear Nighthawk in front of MX and static routes

Do I recently increased my home network speed to 500MB and my MX64 could no longer give me the speeds to all my devices.  I now have a Netgear Nighthawk router with 2 wireless satellites running and giving me great wireless speeds to all my devices.  I then plugged my Meraki Stack into the Netgear router and everything works great accept I have a couple devices (printer, storage device) connected to the Meraki Stack that I would like to access via the Netgear connected devices.  The Netgear LAN is set up as 192.168.1.x and the Meraki LAN is set to 192.168.128.x.  I setup a static route on the netgear to send all 192.168.128.x traffic to the Meraki's IP address, but nothing seems to be getting through.  What do I need to do on the Meraki to allow the netgear traffic to pass in and out?  Thanks in advance.

Ken Mage
8 Replies 8
BlakeRichardson
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Have you setup firewall rules on the MX to allow this traffic?

What is the requirement to have one router behind another in a home environment? 

Blake, the Meraki stack I have is from my Meraki certification training and I use for all my work related activities.  The MX64 is limited to only about 200MB of traffic, so I needed something faster connecting to my Arris cable modem which now gives me 500MB of speed.  So that is why I went with the Netgear connecting to that and using that for family and friends wireless access.  I connected to MX to one of the ports for that so that everything behind the MX stayed the same and kept running.  The challenge now is that several of the devices connected to the Meraki now are on the 192.168.128. network while all my wireless and personal stuff is connecting to the Netgear 192.168.1. network.

As to your first question, no I have not set up any firewall rules on the MX so far.  I am not a strong networking guy (a sales guy at heart) but would be happy to learn more.  Pointers to how to do this are greatly appreciated.  

Ken Mage
alemabrahao
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

You must create a link network via LAN port between Netgear and MX, then create a static route on both Netgear and MX.

I am not a Cisco Meraki employee. My suggestions are based on documentation of Meraki best practices and day-to-day experience.

Please, if this post was useful, leave your kudos and mark it as solved.
KenMage
Here to help

here is a graphic of my home setup.  pointer to where in the MX64 to setup either the static route or firewall rule would be appreciated.

Mage Home Network - 2023.jpg

Ken Mage
alemabrahao
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Is this connection between Netgear and MX via LAN or WAN interface?

alemabrahao_0-1697721720761.png

I am not a Cisco Meraki employee. My suggestions are based on documentation of Meraki best practices and day-to-day experience.

KenMage
Here to help

On the netgear side the cable is plugged into a LAN port, on the Meraki MX side it is plugged into the Internet/WAN port.

Ken Mage
alemabrahao
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

It won't work, this routing must be done via the MX's LAN interface, do you have another LAN port available on the Netgear to connect to the MX's LAN port?

Or you can try the Passthrough Mode.

https://documentation.meraki.com/MX/Networks_and_Routing/Passthrough_Mode_on_the_MX_Security_Applian...

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels