New MX-250

SOLVED
Montana-Man
Here to help

New MX-250

Good Morning, I am a new Meraki user.  I purchased 2 MX-250 Security Appliances and thought cables would come with the devices to connect to the internet using the standard CAT5/CAT6 configuration.  All that was shipped were the 2 power supplies and a MA-CBL-40G-1M.  How do I connect the Internet port (looks like Fiber) to my Internet Providers CAT 6 (RJ45) ends?  Also, are there any installation guides (descriptions and pictures) on connecting and configuring the devices?  Thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
jdsilva
Kind of a big deal

If you need a RJ45 based connection then this is likely the one:

image.png

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
jdsilva
Kind of a big deal

It's an SFP+ port. You need an SFP or an SFP+ module. Meraki had a list of compatible modules here:  https://meraki.cisco.com/lib/pdf/meraki_datasheet_sfp.pdf

The installation guide may also be helpful: https://documentation.meraki.com/MX/Installation_Guides/MX250_Installation_Guide#Connecting_to_WAN

Thanks, which one do you suggest?

jdsilva
Kind of a big deal

If you need a RJ45 based connection then this is likely the one:

image.png

Thanks! 

I saw this installation guide, I was hoping for a more detailed one.  This shows that the device should ship with two CAT 6 cables, neither one of mine did?

jdsilva
Kind of a big deal

@Montana-Man wrote:

I saw this installation guide, I was hoping for a more detailed one.  This shows that the device should ship with two CAT 6 cables, neither one of mine did?

Really? That's odd. It's been a while since I've opened a brand new 250... I don't remember if any that I've installed had them or not.

Uberseehandel
Kind of a big deal

Does the ISP termination device have a fiber connection option, or will the ISP supply a "normal" ONT if requested?

Robin St.Clair | Principal, Caithness Analytics | @uberseehandel

Sorry just saw you message.  The ISP does not have a fiber option, just CAT 6 coming in.  Not sure what you mean by ONT?  Thanks for responding.

ONT - Optical network terminator. Used to provide internet access to local networks. If there is FTTP, an ONT or equivalent is usually present.

Many ISPs provide a choice of options, SFP or RJ45.

Robin St.Clair | Principal, Caithness Analytics | @uberseehandel
Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels