Mx250 wan compatibility changed

jushi
New here

Mx250 wan compatibility changed

The mx250 wan port comparability with Cisco sfp modules 'ma sfp 1gb tx' recently seems to have stopped working. They worked just fine about a month ago, but now I'm unable to use the 1gb Copper (rj45) sfp module to connect to the wan port, specifically. This is problematic, I've got several sites to configure, in which this is the only module available to set up the nx250; it was working until recently, and the PDF says the module should be compatible. I can get a cheaper module that works, from a different vendor; my question is why these modules no longer work when they had, previously

14 REPLIES 14
Inderdeep
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

@jushi : That may be the issue in the SFP, Did you check connected the same SFP with other device, Is it working or not, If not i would say check if you have another SFP of same model and trying if it is working.

https://meraki.cisco.com/product/security-sd-wan/large-branch-campus-concentrator/mx250/ 

Regards/Inder
Cisco IT Blogs awarded in 2020 & 2021
www.thenetworkdna.com

This has been a problem with at least a dozen of these modules, starting about a month ago. They work in the sfp ( not+) slots on the device; this same module used to work for the wan port, I've used them to set up dozens of hotels, previously, with the same components, in the past. 

PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

That sounds like a software bug.  You'll need to open a support case.

cmr
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

@jushi what firmware are you using on the MX250s that will not accept the 1Gb RJ-45 SFP?  We use them on our MX250s and are currently running 15.42.

maryfreeman
New here

On the MX (local) status page you can specify 1G or 10G LR or SR or leave it Auto. Not sure about the SFP or SFP+ ports cause I've had good luck on Switches.

domyessay.onl

RemiX
Conversationalist

Hi,

Here is the answer from Cisco Meraki Technical Support Engineer:

"Yes, the SFP modules will not work on an SFP+ port but it will work the other way round. The WAN ports on the MX250 are 10G SFP+ WAN interfaces for high-speed connectivity. This information can be found on our website link -->; https://meraki.cisco.com/product/security-sd-wan/large-branch-campus-concentrator/mx250/

..."

Br,

Remi

cmr
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

This was fixed in the 16.10 release.  Please see my post with the release notes.

RemiX
Conversationalist

Thanks! 

From Security appliance firmware versions MX 16.10 changelog: "...Resolved an issue that resulted in MX250, MX450, MX95, and MX105 appliances being unable to properly utilize some MA-SFP-1GB-TX SFP modules..."

Applies this to WAN ports? did you test it maybe or?  In my case, the problem is with both the MA-SFP-1GB-TX (cooper) and the MA-SFP-1GB-SX (fiber).

BTW: I sent a reply to support so I wonder what they'll answer 😉

cmr
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Our MX250s use the old Cisco GLC-T modules in the WAN ports and are running 15.42, I'd resisted upgrading them having seen your issues, but do now plan to upgrade them to 16.10 in the next couple of weeks.  So I don't know if it definitely fixes the issue, but it looks mightily coincidental if not...

RemiX
Conversationalist

Here is MX250 with "Current version: MX 15.42.1" ..... 

cmr
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Maybe the .1 made the issue occur 🤔 though I suspect it might be related to the exact modules.  Be good to see what support say 🤞

RemiX
Conversationalist

OK,..... Now i can finally summarize the case after the answer from the support ...

It took a long time for support to find the problem .... the first answer was that MA-SFP-1GB-TX it was not compatible with Internet ports on MX250, or something about cables, and finally after a few weeks of repeating from me that it must be a bug, etc .... support agreed

The solution from support: "...we have a known issue with the MA-SFP-1GB-TX module with the Serials 211xxxx not being detected on the WAN interface of the MX250 and MX450 however this issue has been resolve on the new firmware. So in order to get the MA-SFP-1GB-TX module to work on the MX250 the device will need to be updated...."

We tested it (before support gives an answer) and I can confirm that MA-SFP-1GB-TX works with MX250 on Internet ports after updated to FW: MX 16.11 /Beta per now, (it may take a while for the module to start for the first time, you just have to wait).

PS. I also tested 3rd party device 10GB that works OK but instead of 1GB you get 10GB uplink via cobber (works fine before update with FW 15.4.01 and after w/ 16.11):

10Gtek® 10GBase SFP+ transceiver module 30m https://www.amazon.de/-/en/gp/aw/d/B01M8O3MAL/ref=ya_aw_od_pi?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Br

Remi

KarstenI
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

I was also using the 10Gtek Modules for quite some time but decided to move to FS now. Again I had Copper SFPs where the release-mechanism broke and converted my modular uplinks to fixed 1G copper-uplinks ...

AlexP
Meraki Employee
Meraki Employee

15.42.2 should be available as a patch release to correct this issue - this is indeed a known bug, and that release is intended solely to fix it.

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels