Moving physical location of appliance

SOLVED
JJ_CA
Here to help

Moving physical location of appliance

Hi,

I have a MX65W appliance setup in an office which connects to the internet through the office's switch and has a static IP. I'll be moving this to another location later this month where the connection to the internet is through a router.

I do not want to change the configuration of the network that has been created by appliance, however I understand that I'll have to change the Internet configuration from static to DHCP to get an IP from my router.

So IMO the process should be pretty straightforward - i.e. unplug the appliance from current location and plugin into new location and change the internet configuration and reconnect all devices back.

Has anyone else performed a similar operation and thinks I'm missing out on something over here? Do you guys think anything else needs to be taken care of?

Thanks

JJ

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
BrechtSchamp
Kind of a big deal
10 REPLIES 10
BrechtSchamp
Kind of a big deal

I think that's pretty much it. If you need any port forwarding done on the router that'll have to be redone. If you have setup a physical location/address in any of the devices to make them show up on Google maps you'll have to change that.

Thanks for your reponse, it's reassuring to know that I'm on the right track. I'll get back to the forum once this is complete.

Also I'm assuming the meraki cloud connection should be seamless so no changes should be required for existing Client VPN to work as it does now.

Best Regards

JJ

BrechtSchamp
Kind of a big deal

If you've redone the port forwarding and the provider+their router behave and you were using dynamic DNS then yes. A lot of ifs...

Right, I'm using google's DNS 8.8.8.8 etc right now because of the static IP, but once this is changed to DHCP it should be seamless (I assume?). Anyways - will get back once I've given this a shot.

many thanks for your response wrt this.

-JJ
BrechtSchamp
Kind of a big deal

Should be yes.

Hi,

So I completed the move today - everything looked good until I tried logging in via Client VPN.

So the appliance is connected to the meraki cloud and is advertising a hostname/IP to connect to. I'm able to ping these from external networks. But client VPN does not seem to work. On windows i see an error which says "security layer encountered a processing error during initial negotiations", and on a Mac i see the error "server did not respond". So I'm wondering what the issue could be here? Any suggestions?

Thanks i advance.

Regards
JJ

BrechtSchamp
Kind of a big deal

Many thanks. Will do the needful and respond.

Best
JJ

Hi -

Many thanks for all your help with this.

So fwding the IKE and NAT-T ports on the router worked. Now the client VPN is available remotely.

Best Regards

JJ

BrechtSchamp
Kind of a big deal

Cool. Glad everything is straightened out!

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels