Moving layer 3 from MS to MX

Solved
Slobs2
Getting noticed

Moving layer 3 from MS to MX

Hello all,

I currently have an MS425 doing all layer 3 on my network. I purchased an MX250 and am going to move all layer three to the MX. Since the move networks option only moves interfaces to other switches, is there an easier way to move all the interfaces? Setup the MX with the static routes as the current firewall is setup now and then move them one at a time or create all the interfaces on the MX and attempt to remove all the interfaces from the MS? For added complexity I am also using the MS as DHCP too.

1 Accepted Solution
jdsilva
Kind of a big deal

I'm not sure there's an "easy" way here. I'd suggest that you connect up the MX to the cloud, and then run the Mgmt interface of the MS to the MX so you have a stable control plane to work with here. And then as you say, just migrate the L3 interfaces one at a time.

Moving DHCP is going to be a pain. I would suggest ahead of time you shorten the lease time on the MS down to something really short (1 hour? 30 minutes?) and let all your clients get the new short leases. This will ensure the clients re-dhcp to the MX within a reasonable period. 

View solution in original post

1 Reply 1
jdsilva
Kind of a big deal

I'm not sure there's an "easy" way here. I'd suggest that you connect up the MX to the cloud, and then run the Mgmt interface of the MS to the MX so you have a stable control plane to work with here. And then as you say, just migrate the L3 interfaces one at a time.

Moving DHCP is going to be a pain. I would suggest ahead of time you shorten the lease time on the MS down to something really short (1 hour? 30 minutes?) and let all your clients get the new short leases. This will ensure the clients re-dhcp to the MX within a reasonable period. 

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels