Migrate Cisco 2900 UC routers to just voice gateways and replace with MX appliances

SOLVED
StevenEarl
Here to help

Migrate Cisco 2900 UC routers to just voice gateways and replace with MX appliances

Hello, We are looking at using Meraki MX appliances to replace our 2900 routers that are going end of software support. They are all running SRST and needed to connect to the PSTN for B1 or PRIs for voice. So I can either replace them with standard Cisco 4300 or maybe put them on the "outside" of a MX appliance and use them as just voice gateways. I am thinking that should be safe as we could restrict access to them through the MX. With a one arm appliance in my core I could start implementing the Meraki SD-WAN solutionCisco 2900 as Voice GatewaayCisco 2900 as Voice Gatewaay. Any thoughts? 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

If the 2900's are only connecting to PRI/BRI, why can't they just plug directly into the inside of your network?

You can use SD-WAN with the MX in normal "routed" mode.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

If the 2900's are only connecting to PRI/BRI, why can't they just plug directly into the inside of your network?

You can use SD-WAN with the MX in normal "routed" mode.

I am trying to make them as secure as possible. I agree that they could easily be kept "inside" the network but a management goal is to remove all devices that Cisco stops providing software updates for. I am hoping that removing all functionality other than voice requirements and putting them on the other side of a firewall will to convince management they are "safe" for a few more years - at least until we move to SIP or replace with much less expensive routers. I don't think many people are trying to hack in through  B1 lines anymore and we need them for 911.

I would like to hear from others that are keeping 2900 routers to help build my case so I can move to Meraki sooner.

Thanks for the response. 

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels