MerakiMX64 on prem, vMX100 in Azure and two server farms, one in classic and one in modern architect

SOLVED
AndrejRistovsk
Here to help

MerakiMX64 on prem, vMX100 in Azure and two server farms, one in classic and one in modern architect

Hi there,

The company that I am working for is implementing MerakiMX on-prem and in Azure.

On prem I have:

- one MerakiMX64 with subnet 192.168.20.0/24 and a Client1 with ip: 192.168.20.2 that is behind MerakiMX64

On Azure I have:

- one vMX100 on a vnet called meraki-lan. The vMX100 has IP: 192.32.0.4, subnet 192.32.0.0/24

- one server farm that is deployed in classic architecture (older one). The servers are connected to a vnet1 that is in classic deployment. Subnet for the servers 192.31.0.0/25. There is one more subnet called GatewaySubnetV1 192.31.0.128/29, this one is used to make a vpn-site-to-site connection via virtual gateway to GatewaySubnetV2.

- one server farm that is deployed in modern architecture. The servers are connected to a vnet2 that is in modern deployment . Subnet for the servers 192.32.0.0/25. There is one more subnet called GatewaySubnetV2 192.32.0.248/29, this subnet is used to make a vpn site-to-site connection with the GatewaySubnetV1 192.31.0.128/29

I have done peering between meraki-lan and vnet1 and meraki-lan and vnet2. There is a routing table that I have put the local subnet 192.168.20.0/24 and associated that subnet to vnet2.

Now everything works as it should between 192.168.20.0/24 and server farm that is deployed in modern architecture, vnet2. From Client1 I am accessing all servers on vnet2 (modern architecture)

However I am not able to communicate between the MerakiMX64 or Client1 to servers in vnet2(classic architecture). I am not able to find how to make an association from meraki-lan to vnet1 (classic architecture).

Any advice how to solve this problem?

Thanks J.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi to all,

I just wanted to post a solution that worked for me.

The solution involved using powershell to create a routing table in Azure classic and associate that routing table to the network that is in classic deployment.

Here is a nice document that helped me https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/azure/virtual-network/virtual-network-create-udr-classic-ps

In case anybody else needs some help with this kind of problem i will be more than happy to help :).

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

I don't know the answer.

What about building a VPN between the classic and new architecture networks?

Hi PhilipDAth,

Thank you for the reply.

I have been trying that too and was following the documentation, guides but unfortunately never got it working. The VPN tunnel never got established :(.

Have you come across some useful documentation that can help me to try again?

Thanks in advanced.

Hi to all,

I just wanted to post a solution that worked for me.

The solution involved using powershell to create a routing table in Azure classic and associate that routing table to the network that is in classic deployment.

Here is a nice document that helped me https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/azure/virtual-network/virtual-network-create-udr-classic-ps

In case anybody else needs some help with this kind of problem i will be more than happy to help :).

Happiman
Building a reputation

@AndrejRistovsk \

image.png

As you added a route table on resource group where vnet1 belongs, you will need to create a route table on the resource group where vnet2 belongs. And put the LAN ip address of vMX.image.png

I used the youtube to set up my vMX @ Azure.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Prp9HrBjG14

Hi Happiman,

The thing is that this is not possible when there is a network and a server farm deployed in the classic environment.

You are not able to associate the vnet that is deployed in the classic environment with routing table.

I send the same question to Microsoft support and will share the solution when they will reply to me.

Thanks for the feedback :).

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels