Meraki WAN Failover

Riser
Getting noticed

Meraki WAN Failover

We have Building A with its own ISP and an MX100, Building B with its own ISP and an MX67. Both buildings / MX hardware being on separate networks in the Meraki Cloud. The goal is WAN failover using each buildings ISP hookup on the MX devices. Unfortunately setting up a warm spare as I’m sure you know is not possible due to mismatching MX hardware between the two buildings.

We’re utilizing Ubiquiti NanoBeam 5AC’s to get a WiFi bridge between each building into Cisco Catalyst switches in both buildings that are connected to their respective MX devices.

We are looking for some possible solutions as we’re unsure of what the most logical implementation would be in this scenario whether that be VLANs or possibly utilizing the L3 Catalysts to create some type of manual failover logic between the two ISP hookups. I know ideally getting matching MX devices and utilizing Meraki’s HA / warm spare is the direct solution. But hoping to see if there’s any viable solutions with our current setup.

1 Reply 1
KH
Meraki Employee
Meraki Employee

Hey @Riser 

Is there any reason we can't use the switches and have a pruned VLAN(s) for the ISPs between both buildings to provide WAN 2 to both MXes from both ISPs? 

If you found this post helpful, please give it kudos. If my answer solved your problem, click "accept as solution" so that others can benefit from it
Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels