Meraki VPN Route Summarization

Solved
PatrickBB
Getting noticed

Meraki VPN Route Summarization

I think I already know the answer to this, but I was not able to find this in documentation or on any other community post.

Does the Meraki MX Appliance, when running in Passthrough, VPN Concentrator mode, do route summarization before it advertises the connected routes to an upstream router?

For example.

VPN Network 1 - 10.1.0.0/24

VPN Network 2 - 10.1.100.0/24

VPN Network 3 - 10.1.50.0/24

Can those be summarized into a 10.1.0.0/16 when advertised to an upstream router (from the MX VPN hub) or is it the upstream router's responsibility to summarize the routes before advertising then on word to the rest of the network?

I'm thinking that the Meraki VPN hub only advertises the routes it learns through the VPN connection and does not do any route summarization.

Secondary question is, I know that there are certain things that Meraki support can enable by request.  Is this one of those things?

1 Accepted Solution
MarkB2
Here to help

Using BGP to peer the hub in concentrator mode to an upstream router, there is no option to summarize to the EBGP neighbor, the MX advertises every subnet from every network individually. I haven't heard of any backend changes or upcoming features to allow this but it would be nice.

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2
MilesMeraki
Head in the Cloud

I assume this is with OSPF enabled to dynamically distribute Auto-VPN routes to another router?

Reading over this KB article (https://documentation.meraki.com/MX/Site-to-site_VPN/Using_OSPF_to_Advertise_Remote_VPN_Subnets) andto my knowledge, they are not summarised. You'll want the upstream router to summarize the routes if needed. 

Eliot F | Simplifying IT with Cloud Solutions
Found this helpful? Give me some Kudos! (click on the little up-arrow below)
MarkB2
Here to help

Using BGP to peer the hub in concentrator mode to an upstream router, there is no option to summarize to the EBGP neighbor, the MX advertises every subnet from every network individually. I haven't heard of any backend changes or upcoming features to allow this but it would be nice.

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels