Meraki MX64 Base MAC address Different Than The Dashboard

Procraft
Comes here often

Meraki MX64 Base MAC address Different Than The Dashboard

I have (2) Meraki MX 64’s and I get a WAN MAC address via DHCP of xx:xx:xx:xx:35 however when I claim that device with the serial number it’s looking for xx:xx:xx:xx:30. Meraki support was no help whatsoever. I am needing a tool to either change the WAN MAC address so that it matches the :30 that dashboard wants, or have Meraki change on their side or instead of :30 change to :35.

This is happening on both devices.

Any help or direction would be better then what I got from support.

Thank you..

9 Replies 9
Brash
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

What you're seeing in the dashboard is expected behaviour.

The MAC Address seen in the dashboard is a physical identifier for the device.
The MAC addresses of the uplink interfaces are different from this, typically offset by 4 or 5.

The following doc describes this behaviour

Calculating MX WAN MAC Addresses - Cisco Meraki

As a side note, this behaviour looks to have changed on newer MX models.

I have an MX75 in which the dashboard MAC address matches the MAC showing in the connected switch's ARP table.

Procraft
Comes here often

Call me Goofie but all the document shows is the offset. How do you change :35 address to the :30?

Brash
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

I don't believe it can be changed.

It is expected behaviour that the MAC shown on the dashboard will not match the MAC of the interfaces.

Is there a reason you need them to match?

Procraft
Comes here often

Yes, I don’t have communication between the dashboard and the device. What I have noticed is the difference in MAC addresses but my personal MX64 the MAC addresses are the same. Dashboard and device.

Brash
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

I don't think the different MAC address is your issue.

Here is an output of my MX64 which is working fine.

Brash_0-1635847020265.png

As you can see, in the dashboard the MAC address ends in ...:c0

When I do a packet capture on the uplink interface, the MAC address is ...:c5

Brash_1-1635847467224.png

You should be able to just claim the device(s) by serial number. I see your MX64 (ending in ZCQG) is claimed into your org, but not online. Is it powered on and connected to internet? If so what does the local status page show?

And if powered on and connected to internet, but not working a simple step is to do a factory reset.

Procraft
Comes here often

ScreenShot2.JPGScreenShot1.JPG

Screenshot 1 is the standard dashboard with the MAC of :30

Screenshot 2 if the DHCP MAC address of the WAN interface.

I compared my MX64 to this MX64 and that is the only difference I cam up with.

If you know of something I am missing please I am all ears.

The eth port MAC is offset from the base MAC as noted here. So, that's why the eth port shows as :35.

The MX not coming online must be due to something else. Also, that screenshot below appears to be from when you had it in another org. I can see the serial has been moved between orgs.

What does the local status page show on the MX? Not dashboard, but the local status page (connect directly to a MX LAN port). https://documentation.meraki.com/General_Administration/Tools_and_Troubleshooting/Using_the_Cisco_Me...

I had to create a new account as my original account accidentally got switched to shared licensing.

If I take my Meraki MX64 reset it to defaults and plug it up using the same cable, dhcp, everything (even same power adapter) mine works fine, either one of these MX64's give that same error. I troubleshooted and the only thing I could find is the different MAC addresses. I have to give up and send these back, however I have been working on this for 3 weeks and I have other things i need to be doing.

Everyone's help is greatly appreciated. 🙂

Procraft....

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels