Meraki MX100 replaced for MX 105

athan1234
Building a reputation

Meraki MX100 replaced for MX 105

I need to migrate the Meraki MX100 to the MX105.

Which is the best strategy? I'm not sure. Clone  the network or incorporate those MX 105 into the existing network

There are 16 switches and 96 access points in the existing network.

I think the best course of action is to integrate those MX105 into the existing network, isn't that right?

I have another query. The MX is currently using a static IP. Since I don't have access to the new MX105, what would be the best  way to do it ?

10 Replies 10
athan1234
Building a reputation

I previously viewed this material.

The easiest option is the method were you simply remove the old MX from the network, and add the new MX.  Put back any WAN configuration (in your case, you'll need to talk someone through doing this via the local status page).  It will come online, and download its config.

Done.

Eric-Fretz
Here to help

PhillipDAth is correct per the official documentation.  HOWEVER, if you are trying to do this with a minimum of downtime, the safest move would be to create a new Appliance network, add the MX105 to it, copy over all of your settings, then when you are ready, physically move the cables from the MX100 to the MX105.  The only setting you cannot replicate ahead of time is if your MX is part of a autoVPN SDWAN, then you will only be able to turn on autoVPN for the MX105 -after- you have replaced the MX100 and disjoined the MX100 network from your autoVPN SDWAN.

EDIT:

PhilipDAth pointed out something obvious that I should have mentioned:  If you have your MXs, Switches and WAPs all combined in one Meraki network, the method I mentioned above is Not Ideal(tm).  If you are running separate networks for your appliances, switches and WAPs, my original comment stands as the best option to migrate a new MX with minimal downtime.   HOWEVER, if you are running a combined network, you'll be forced to remove the existing MX100 from the combined network and then add the MX105, which will cause downtime for the period of time where you are missing a configured MX.

Don't forget about those 16 switches and 96 access points.  🙂

Oh yeah.... I guess I just assumed that nobody in their right mind would leave everything in one combined network.  Please hold while I edit my previous reply!

Mloraditch
Building a reputation

You can always just split, clone, and recombine unless you have a need for the client data to stay fully intact. You will just have to disable/reenable VPN and possibly change your client tracking back to Unique mode if using that.

athan1234
Building a reputation

Yes, that's right. Perhaps he wants to inform me pre configure  first  both 

MX105 for change after for the MX100

Basically, yes, that is exactly what I am telling you.  it all depends on if you are trying to optimize for minimum downtime, admin easiness, or the ability to do this remotely.  A lot of my remote sites do not have remote IT staff, so I end up partnering with local office staff (non-IT) to move cables for me.  In my world, safety and minimum downtime is pretty much everything to me.  Building up the new MX in a new network affords you the option of bringing the new MX online and bootstrapping it before you try to throw it in production.  It also minimizes your downtime to the amount of time it takes someone on-site to move the LAN cable from the old MX to the new MX.

athan1234
Building a reputation

I have some question 

The MX 100 has a static IP address for the internet.
It was not possible for me to configure the new MX 105 to replace the MX 100. for default the MX 105 it is for DHCP correct? because it
Do you belive i will have to access to local page for set upo the static ip in the wan interface?

What steps will be involved in switching from the MX 100 to the MX 105 and replacement of the MX 100 with the MX 105?

I've got two ideas:

The initial plan is to
disassociate the existing MX 100 from the network and associate the new MX 105 to the network . However, I'm not sure if this will remove the current MX 100 configuration. I don't want to lose the configuration because if something goes wrong, I'll have to roll it back ( although I have all the screenshots for the current MX 100 configuration).

the other idea is  involves establishing a brand-new network named X and relocating the current MX 100 to it.

I think that by doing this, I will be able to associate the new MX 105 with the network without having to lost the MX 100 configuration, as I am simply moving a network X.
What is the most effective approach to take?

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels